FORTY SIX

"So," Gwen smirked as she appeared next to Astrid's locker, "Am I talking to Peter Parker's girlfriend?"

"No," Astrid chuckled, continuing to grab her books from her locker, "You're talking to Peter's... I don't know. He's been acting weird ever since Green Goblin started his reign of terror."

Gwen frowned, wanting to yell at Peter for not taking her advice in making sure he didn't act weird around Astrid because once she got a whiff of any one of her friends acting weird, she would not rest until she got to the bottom of it.

"And I want to help him look for information on the guy but he just- he doesn't want me to help."

"I-I mean, yeah. It makes sense. He probably doesn't want you in danger."

"I guess. I just- I hate that I can't help though or that this is one more thing I feel like he's keeping a secret from me."

"I wouldn't say he's keeping it a secret."

Astrid only gave her a look as she closed her locker, surprised to see Harry and Michelle there.

"Who's keeping a secret?" Harry asked hopefully.

Michelle rolled her eyes, "Stop being so nosy, Harry."

"Hey, when it comes to my twin sister, there are no secrets between us. So- spill Astrid."

"There's nothing to spill. Let's just- let's go to class Harry."

"Um, you guys go ahead," Gwen smiled softly at the three, "I need to grab something from my locker."

"You want me to wait for you?" Michelle asked but Gwen was quick to shake her head, saying her goodbyes to the three before rushing to her locker which was, luckily, right besides Peter's.

And, as suspected, he was standing there with Ned.

"Does he know?" she asked the second she got to them, not missing a beat.

"That another one of our friend's dad might be a murderous dick? Yeah. I know."

"Good. Now, you- what is wrong with you?"

"Well," Peter sighed as he closed his locker, "I'm exhausted. I can never sleep and when I do sleep all I do is have nightmares about Norman sneaking into Astrid and Harry's room at night to kill them-"

"I'm going to stop you right there. Norman loves them both too much to ever hurt them."

"Yeah, Norman does. But the Green Goblin..."

"Wait. Have you fought him again since we first spoke about it?"

"Yeah. On the Brooklyn Bridge. Just last night actually-"