FORTY NINE

The signs were all there

The secret conversations that stopped the second she reached them.

Always being late for dates.

Lying about where he was.

And finally, that text.

'tell me when she's asleep and i'll call you'

That was the text that kept repeating in Astrid's mind after last night.

Why was Peter texting Gwen so late at night?

And why did he have to wait for Astrid to be asleep to call her?

Obviously, Gwen was her best friend so she really couldn't believe that she would do something like that to her but she really couldn't think of any other reason for them to act that way towards each other.

She, of course, didn't want to just jump straight to conclusions though so Astrid decided she would be spending the day trying to figure out just what was going on between the two- and she would be starting right away.

When she got to school, the first thing she did was approach Peter who was, not surprisingly, with Gwen.

"Hey guys," she faked her best smile as she appeared behind them, surprising them both and- as expected, stopping them from their previous conversation.

"H-hey, Astrid."

"What were you guys talking about?"

"The weather."

"Rocks."

Gwen hit Peter's shoulder at his answer, making Astrid frowned when he cleared his throat.

"W-we were talking about how badly the rocks are being affected by the weather. You know- global warming and stuff."

"Right... well, mind if I join the conversation?"

"Um- you know what? We're going to be late for class. We should get going, right Peter?"

"Yeah! See you there!" he quickly placed a kiss on her cheek before rushing off with Gwen, leaving Astrid standing there with a frown on her face.

"But- we have the same class," Astrid mumbled when they were long gone.

She wanted nothing more than to follow after them and give them a piece of her mind but decided to keep her cool- at least until she managed to talk herself out of it, or rather have someone else talk her out of it.

With Gwen and Peter being the people in question, they was out of the picture.

Harry could never be someone to turn to, Astrid knowing the second he even heard of Peter so much as making her frown, he wouldn't be able to hold back his anger and take it out on Peter- and as angry as she was, she didn't want that to happen.