Master Plan Part 4

I walked to school, winding up being 15 minutes early just so I could avoid Stiles. I also didn't even try to dress cute. I wore dark skinny jeans because that's all that was clean and a zip up maroon jacket. I didn't even bother wearing a shirt underneath because I didn't feel like going to school. The top half of my hair was rolled into a bun to keep it out of my face. Other than that and a pair of shoes, I felt pretty good about even making it out of the house.

My first period wasn't with Stiles, but it was with Scott. When I got in, he watched me the entire walk to my seat. Seeing him now, I felt guilty for making him worry.

"What happened to you yesterday?" he asked.

"You weren't supposed to tell him," I replied. He knew exactly what I was talking about by the look on his face. Then he looked confused.

"I thought-."

"You thought you were helping, right? Well, you weren't. You've just made things worse," I said, then turned to face the teacher, ending the conversation. But then the guilt kept eating at me. "And I'm sorry. I didn't mean to worry you."

The teacher talked, but I wasn't listening. I was trying to figure out what I was going to say to Stiles next period. Or if I should say anything to him at all. But I couldn't freeze him out. It wasn't his fault he didn't like me like I liked him. My heart clenched every time I thought about him, and at this point, I couldn't stop thinking about him. My chest felt like a cavity for constant pain.

All too soon the bell rang, and I headed for the door like everyone else. And guess who was waiting just outside of it. That's right, Stiles.

I wasn't ready and his head was down, so I quickly walked the opposite way, hoping he wouldn't notice my back. It was foolish to think he wouldn't.

"Y/N!" Stiles called. I heard his feet run up to me. "Wait up, where are you going?"

"Class," I replied, not able to look at him.

"First of all, class is that way. Second, why are you-. Y/N, stop!" Stiles grabbed my arm, forcing me to stop and face him. "Can we just talk for a second?" His voice was still loud and I could hear his heart pumping with frustration. I stared up at him, my mouth in a knot waiting for him to speak. He scoffed and ran his fingers through his short hair. People in the hall kept looking at us then looking away, trying to act as though they weren't staring at the drama going on between us.

"Are you avoiding me or something?" he asked.

"No. I'm standing right here, aren't I?"

He sighed and rolled his eyes, deciding not to argue. "Fine. Whatever. Uh, Scott told me... He told me that you like me."

I backed up a few steps, feeling my heart beat quicker with nervousness. I didn't want to hear the next thing out of his mouth. "We-we're gunna be late for class." My shaky voice betrayed me, revealing just how hurt and nervous I really was.

Before he could stop me, I spun on my heel and took the nearest stairs up to the second floor. I sat in my seat and put my hood up, so when Stiles came in, I wouldn't have to see his perfect, heart-breaker face.

It seemed like my body reacted to his entrance before I could even realize he had entered. He sat down next to me and leaned over.

"Come over after school," he said.

"I can't," I replied.

"Why?"

"I have to study."

"It can wait."

"It's waited too long already."

"Then a few more hours aren't going to make a difference. Just, please."