The Divine Move Part 2

Right as we walked in, (well, Kira walked in. Stiles and I stumbled, mostly because of Stiles.) Lydia was talking about getting the feeling that we were running out of time.

"Yeah," Stiles agreed, making them look over at us. I let go of Stiles' arm to let him stand on his own. "Yeah, I kind of got that feeling, too."

"We were just about to go to the school," Scott said.

"I'll drive," I replied. I turned to walk out again, ignoring Stiles when he said my name. I couldn't stand him right now.

We got to the school and Stiles stumbled out first, holing himself up against a railing. I went to his side, asking if he was okay.

"I'm okay."

I threw his arm over my shoulder anyway to help him walk to the school. "This doesn't mean we're okay. I'm still mad at you."

"I love you," he said.

"I love you, too," I grumbled angrily, rolling my eyes.

Scott reached out to open the door, and Stiles stopped him. "I know what you're all thinking. If this works, it might kill me, too. But even if it does, you have to go through with it. Stick with the plan, okay?" I pursed my lips, wanting to drop him and let him walk for himself right then and there, but I couldn't.

"The plan is to save you," Scott told him. I felt my lips perk up a little. "That's the plan I'm going with." Scott opened the school doors while Stiles rolled his eyes. You'd expect the door to a school to lead to a school, but apparently not this one.

There was snow on the ground and falling from the open sky. Every tree limb and naked branch was covered in white. It looked like we were in some type of Japanese garden. I instantly started to shiver violently–though, I think it was psychosomatic because it wasn't actually cold in here–, and Stiles and I switched roles. He was now the one with his arm around me while I hugged myself and chattered my teeth. I will never like winter or snow again for as long as I live.

The door creaked then slammed shut behind us. We all glanced back at it then gave each other 'ookkayy?' looks before turning forwards again.

"This is definitely not part of the plan," Stiles muttered. The snowflakes clung to my hair and eyelashes, and it would have been a picture-perfect moment had we not been about to battle for my boyfriend's life. I stuck my hand out, catching little flakes in my palm. They didn't melt.

Before I could really analyze that fact, I was distracted by mummy-Void jerking out into view. He moved like his bones were made of metal. Kira whipped out her sword as Void walked to us. Stiles stepped forward a bit.

"Like I promised, Stiles," Void grumbled. "We're going to kill all of them. One by one!" His voice was a growling roar as he laughed darkly. An Oni materialized next to Kira and swung, and she instantly blocked it with her sword. She stepped back to us as more Oni appeared. They surrounded us, forcing us into a tight circle.

"What the hell is this? Where are we?" Scott asked Void.

"Between life and death."

"Bardo," Lydia remembered.

"But there are no peaceful deities here. Right, Y/N?" I grit my teeth, not responding as Stiles stepped closer to me almost like he was guarding me. Void noticed and smiled. "You're dying, Stiles. And now everyone you care about is dying, too."

"What? What do you mean?" Stiles asked.

"I've captured almost all of the territories on the board, Stiles. The hospital." I turned in to Stiles, keeping near him as the Oni circled us. "The Sheriff's station. And now the animal clinic." We all stared at Void, hoping he wasn't saying what we thought he was saying. He captured all the territories. That meant the Oni were terrorizing those places, and those places had our people in them.