S5a Creatures of the Night Part 1

I sat on the hood of Stiles' jeep on the cliff that overlooked the whole city. Lights twinkled on and off as people prepared for bed while others awoke for a night out. The moon was full and high in the sky, sending shivers of power through me. But now, I was in complete control. The moon no longer had its hold on me, and I was impervious to its influence.

Stiles and Scott were on either side of me, leaning against the bumper as we all stared at the moon. Stiles had some papers strewn out next to me on the hood, and Scott had a small smile of relaxation on his face.

"Alright. So, I found some cool three bedrooms in the Mission District, but they're pretty expensive," Stiles said. After my confession a few months ago, things had really settled down between us. After all, my feelings for him were gone and we were back to the friends we used to be. "A couple in Haight and Ashbury. Also expensive."

"What about Berkeley?" I asked, pointing to a spot on the map Stiles pulled out. "Don't a lot of students live around there?" Finding a place we could all live was certainly going to be difficult, not to mention pricey, but it had been the plan since middle school and we were going to stick with it.

Even though I had no clue what I wanted to do with my life yet, I had already started applying to colleges. Senior year started tomorrow, and I always thought I'd be ending it with Stiles. But of course I have no feelings. For him.

"Yeah, we could try Nob Hill," Stiles replied, circling the area in red sharpie. "But the jeep would probably burn through a lot of clutches."

"Right," I sighed. Another option out the window.

Scott's eyebrows knitted together as he said, "You're bringing the jeep?"

Stiles merely glanced up at him as if telling him what he already knew. "You know the plan, okay? No one gets left behind. That's the plan." I mouthed the words along with him in a mocking way, and Stiles pursed his lips at me. "I saw that. Okay, Lydia isn't gunna have a problem getting into Stanford, Kira's thinking USF. Malia is, uh...gunna, you know... She'll figure something out, okay? The plan is perfect."

Scott just smiled while I said, "Or we could wait until we actually get into college and then figure it out."

"I have a vision, Y/N," Stiles grumbled, shaking his head at me. I giggled, rolling my eyes a little. "And it is a beautiful vision. Don't ruin the vision." I just smiled at him in a way that told him he was crazy. "Okay, we can check out the East Bay. Haven't looked at Oakland yet, you know?"

While Stiles mumbled about places to live, I looked down at Scott. He was staring up at the moon with his arms folded across his chest. I leaned forward, my elbows on my knees, and tapped his shoulder.

"You alright?" My words made Stiles stop mumbling and join our conversation.

"You starting to feel it?"

"No, just thinking," Scott replied. "Senior year... Deaton told me something once. You ever hear of regression to the mean? It's like... Life can never be all good or all bad. You know, eventually things have to come back to the middle. So think about the last few months. Things have been good, right? I mean, you guys made up." Stiles and I glanced at each other, wondering where Scott was going with this. "But things haven't been amazing."

"Yeah," Stiles hummed, his voice cracking slightly. "But no one's tried to kill us in six months either." It was kind of sad how that meant something good for us. We really missed out on our teenage years. Stupid Peter.

"Right, we've been pretty much in the middle for a while," Scott said.

I nodded. "So... You're worried about which way the scales will tip." The thought hadn't crossed my mind. I'd been too busy coasting through these past months and enjoying my relationships, but now, the more I thought about it, the more I agreed with Scott. This year would either be really amazing or devastating.