Dreamcatchers Part 1

Sheriff nervous gazed at his reflection in the mirror, his free hand messing with everything he thought would fix his appearance. He was wearing a brown suit jacket over a blue plaid shirt and blue tie. Stiles and I wouldn't look at each other, and our normal formation was switched. Scott now stood in between us, though I could tell he didn't exactly like it. Well, too bad. I wasn't standing next to that. Sheriff sighed and grimaced at the man staring back at him, rubbing his hand through his hair.

"Oh, I should've got a haircut."

Stiles stepped in front of him to quip, "Well, you know someone your age should be happy you still have hair to cut." He shrugged, as if he thought he was making a good point. Sheriff frowned, and Scott and I moved in next to Stiles. Except Scott did it in a way that forced me to stand between them. Bastard.

"I think you look great," Scott smiled at him.

"Yeah. You clean up nice," I smiled, too, keeping my arm a safe distance from the thing standing next to me.

Sheriff smiled at us. "Thank you, kids I should've had." I smiled arrogantly at Stiles, just to tick him off, and he looked down at me with a blank expression. His eyes twitched as they narrowed and I returned my gaze to Sheriff. He took one look at me and groaned, instantly starting to undo his tie.

"Ugh, what the hell am I doing?" he grumbled. "This is a terrible idea."

Stiles instantly pushed Sheriff's hands down and re-tightened his tie. "Dad, it is one date. Alright, the town of Beacon Hills won't implode while you're out with one woman."

"Yeah," I agreed.

"Or man."

"What?" I stared at Stiles. Sheriff was the farthest from gay, and I had a hard time imagining him with a man. Stiles nodded suggestively at Sheriff, who chuckled a little.

"It's a woman, Stiles," Sheriff clarified while I made a face at Stiles. He ignored my expression, smiling at his dad. "A very beautiful woman."

"What beautiful woman, by the way?" I asked, giving Sheriff an impish gaze.

He leaned forward a bit like he was going to tell me a secret. "None of your business." Stiles opened his mouth while I pursed my lips, and Sheriff looked at him. "Any of you." Stiles looked behind me at Scott, his lower jaw working from left to right with thought. Scott smiled at both of us, obviously enjoying the fact that Sheriff wouldn't tell let us in on his little secret.

Stiles glanced down at me, his eyebrows now pinched in suspicion, then he turned that same look to Sheriff. "I wanna know."

"That's too bad."

I sighed, knowing we weren't going to get anywhere, so I stepped forward, fixing Sheriff's collar, which was sticking up in the back. "It doesn't matter. Whoever it is, she's lucky to get a chance with you. Go kill it on your date, Sheriff."

One side of Sheriff's mouth quirked up as he thanked me. It was short-lived because his name was shouted angrily from outside his office. His face dropped and he immediately walked out the door, us following him out with pure curiosity.

There was a young boy around our age, who I recognized as Donovan, struggling against Parrish and another deputy by the door. Donovan was our resident bad boy, but not in the good way. He was always finding trouble and getting into things he shouldn't. I made it a habit to steer clear of him, but it was mostly because that's what Sheriff had told me to do four years ago. Donovan was furious and cuffed, so I knew he was in some kind of serious trouble this time. Maybe he blamed Sheriff for it. He blamed Sheriff for a lot of things.