Muted Part 4

"Don't worry, Liam. We'll take good care of you," Melissa said, wheeling him away as I ran up. I don't think Liam knew I was there, but that's okay. I shook my head at the sight, then smacked Scott's chest roughly.

"I can't believe you broke his leg!" I hissed.

"What is it with you and him?" Stiles blurted, making me still with confusion.

"What?"

"You're like all over him."

"No, I'm not! I haven't even talked to him. I just think he's interesting," I defended. Stiles hated that answer because he scoffed and put his hands on his hips.

"What? Like date-able interesting?"

"Ew, Stiles, no. He's two years younger than me," I grumbled. Scott glanced at us awkwardly. "You know what? Don't you have a study session with Malia tonight? I'll come by to pick up my stuff later, okay?"

Scott's hand darted out to grab my shoulder. "What do you mean? Are you leaving?" I nodded, feeling bad that I'd forgotten to tell him. "Where are you gunna stay?"

"My uncle's house," I replied quickly, focusing on keeping my heartbeat steady. Scott nodded slowly, and my eyes locked with Stiles. He was staring at me with some emotion I couldn't identify. I smiled lightly at him, so he sighed and said his goodbyes.

Scott's face seemed to be in a permanent frown as he gazed down the hall where Liam was. I wrapped my arm around his waist.

"Come on. Let's go check on him, yeah?" I said, hoping I sounded comforting. Scott nodded while slinging his arm over my shoulder.

"I have good news," he said. "I kissed Kira. Like a real kiss."

"Dude! I'm so proud of you. I knew you'd figure it out." We smiled at each other then let go, nearing Liam's door. Inside, a doctor was talking to him, so we waited outside. And, yes, we eavesdropped.

"You want to tell me what happened?" Dr. Geyer asked nicely.

The taste of Liam's frustration filled my mouth. "I went up against two juniors. One of them is captain of the team." Scott looked at me, and the taste of his guilt was making all of this a little overwhelming.

I gave him a tight-lipped smile and squeezed his hand soothingly.

"Remember what we always say? Play smart, not hard."

"Are you mad at me?" Liam asked. I made a face at the wall, knowing Liam and Dr. Geyer were on the other side. Why would Liam ask something like that to a doctor?

"No, of course not," Dr. Geyer replied gently. "Your mom might be mad at me for getting you into lacrosse, but maybe we should both wait for the x-ray before we panic. And trust me, I have more reason to panic than you do. It's not over yet." Dr. Geyer chuckled, and his footsteps got closer.

I pulled Scott into a hug as a guise while Dr. Geyer passed us. As soon as he was gone, I pulled back and looked up at Scott. I was just about to tell him to go talk to Liam when his phone buzzed.

"Hey, Lydia," Scott answered.

Quickly, Lydia's reply came in a panicked tone. "Where are you? I couldn't call... I couldn't get away from the deputy. You need to get to the hospital right away. The son, the only one who survived the axe murderer—he's there."

Scott's eyes darted up to mine, both of us staring with adrenaline beginning to pump. "Y/N and I are at the hospital, too."

"Then find him. Find Sean Walcott." Lydia hung up quickly and my mind went blank. What was going on? Why was Lydia so freaked out?