Chapter 27: Helmet Hair

I finish getting changed out of my work uniform in the cubicle and walk out to look at myself in the mirror. I cant believe I'm going through with this date. I sigh and brush through my wavy hair. I touch up my makeup and apply some lipgloss. Why am I even bothering? I shake my head. Its just one date, and then after tonight I dont have to see him again. Maybe I can think of an excuse to leave early.

Just as I'm about to leave the toilets Alicia walks in. She stops and looks me up and down.

"You look nice." She grins.

"Thanks." I shrug one shoulder and show a little smile.

"Where are you off to then?"

"Well... I'm going on a date."

"A date?" She raises her eyebrows. "Samantha, going on a date?!"

I laugh softly and roll my eyes.

"With who?" She asks.

I hesitate before telling her. I sigh and make a face.

"Jace..."

She blinks and lowers her eyebrows.

"Jace? Your ex Jace?"

"Yeah." I nod.

"What?! How? When? Why?"

"That night we went out for Halloween, he asked me then."

She rolls her eyes.

"So hes made you feel sorry for him? And made you think hes a changed man?"

"No." I make a face. "I'm just confused. I thought I'd hate his guts and would tell him to fuck off, but I've not felt like that."

"Oh... so how do you feel?"

"I really dont know." I sigh. "He was my first love Al... my first relationship."

"And your first heartbreak."

I sigh and make a face.

"Sorry Sam, I'm your friend and I'm gonna be honest about it. He was a dick to you."

"Yeah I know... but its not like anything is gonna happen after tonight, and I've told him that. It's just one date and then i dont have to see him again. I guess more than anything it's just me getting clarity you know? We spent a lot of years together, and I was so young when I first met him."

She nods.

"Has this got anything to do with Michael too?"

I make a face.

"What do you mean?"

"If Michael was single you'd be all over him. You wouldn't give Jace the time of day. You wouldn't even be thinking about him."

"Oh my god Al." I roll my eyes. "But Michael isnt single is he? And this has nothing to do with him."

"I thought you liked Michael?"

"Even if I did, I cant have him can I? Hes getting married."

"He doesn't want to marry Meg though."

"Yes he does." I nod. "He told me the other day he is gonna set a date with her."

"Oh, really?" She lowers her eyebrows.

"Yes." I nod. "Michael is really good looking and we had a bit of fun, but that was all. I'm not gonna lie and say I wouldn't have sex with him again, because I would, but i cant. I'm not a home wrecker. I'm not going to encourage an almost married man."