Chapter 8: Keep Our Distance

Michael sits forward and gives me a look. He sighs and licks his lips. Stop being sexy!

"Ok." He nods. "Firstly I want to apologise."

I raise an eyebrow.

"Have you apologised to your fiancee?"

It didn't sound very sincere. He gives me a look.

"I thought you said this is my time to say what I want to say?"

I stare at him and nod my head slightly, letting him carry on.

"I also want you to know I had a really good time."

I widen my eyes slightly. Is he for real?! I mean I'm glad he had a good time but... has he forgot he has cheated on his fiancee? He licks his bottom lip.

"I'm not proud of what I did because I know it was a shitty thing to do, but i can't say i regret it."

I got to say I'm quite shocked at what he is saying. I thought he would be more guilty about the whole thing.

"I guess its unfortunate that I'm now living next door, because it's made things a hundred times worse. I know its awkward and I get that you're shocked and probably pissed off, and I just wanted to talk to you about it... I mean its difficult now we're neighbours and I thought the best thing to do was to talk to you."

"Ok." I nod. "And your fiancee?"

He looks down and back up to my eyes.

"I haven't told her anything." He shakes his head.

I sigh and look down.

"And thank you..." He says softly. "For not saying anything yesterday."

"I didn't really know what to say or do when I saw you. I couldn't have exactly gone off and started a scene."

He nods slowly.

"Your fiancee was so nice to me... I felt really bad."

He frowns and sighs.

"You shouldn't feel bad."

"Its a bit hard for me not to."

"Why? You didn't know i was engaged. I was the one who acted badly and encouraged it."

"I know, but that still doesn't stop me feeling guilty. I dont like knowing what we have done, and that shes oblivious to it all. It's just a horrible secret we're keeping from her."

He rubs his face and nods his head.

"I know."

"Why did you do it?" I ask him, lowering my eyebrows. "I told you I was single. Why didn't you tell me you had someone?"

He sighs and shakes his head.

"I was really drunk, and we had an argument that went on for days. I'm-"

"Oh." I scoff and roll my eyes. "Here we go."

He gives me a look.

"I'm not making excuses. I know nothing i say can excuse what I did to her, I'm just explaining what happened. We argue a lot, and I had enough of it that night. I was going to call the engagement off, and leave her."

"But instead you sleep with someone?"

He sighs, looking agitated.

"Yeah I know that wasn't the best thing to do." He gives me a look. "The next morning I woke up and you were gone. I told you I'd never had a one night stand before, and I have never cheated on Meg either. That was the first time and I felt really shit. I couldn't go through with ending things with her after that."