3.

Skylar:

"I was wondering if you'd like to come with me to office tomorrow for visit day?" Mom brought up in midst of dinner.

"That will work out great for me. I'd like that," I said.

"Be ready early tomorrow," she said.

"I will," I smiled.

The corner of her mouth turned upwards.

"Your Dad is coming back home to collect his belongings. Rose will be in the library. I shall drop you off... Stay with him," she said.

"And you're okay with that? No, Mom... He left us. OK? I am not going to look at him. Better talk to him," I said.

"Daughter. I have raised you well enough to understand that our split should not affect you," she said.

"Mom! No! I don't want to talk to him. He is an abandoner when we needed him. Rose wouldn't have to work two jobs at that time if it wasn't him who turned his back," I said.

"Sky... Listen to me... The world will not sought out its tangles just to let you escape. You either stay there or break free," Mom replied.

"How are you so cool with him? He now lives in a big house and lives luxoriously while you and Rose have to work to pay for survival... How is that fair?" I asked.

"Sometimes you just have to trust the adults to make the right decision. He did leave the library under Rose's name," she said.

I nodded not wanting to annoy her more. She looked at me.

"I'll do the dishes... You should rest," I said.

"One more thing Sky... I have my family and that means a lot more than a big house to me. Rose can now quit her weekend job if she wants to. I make good money for all of us." she said as she kissed mg forehead before she took the dishes to the sink.

"Mom... Thanks," I said. She looked at me and smiled.

"I love you," she said.

I ran over to her and hugged her.

"I love you," I whispered. She let me go a bit later and I helped her do the dishes. She was awfully exhausted by the time we were done cleaning up.

"Sky... Dont mention this to Rose... She will give Mr. Bloomingham a heart attack," Mom smiled. I smiled back as she returned to her bedroom. I sat there in the dining room with the book propped open on my lap and on the table but my mind somewhere else. I always wanted a different family when I was little. I wanted a perfect one. I wanted one where I wouldn't hear dishes breaking or scars on the next day on Mom's arms or something else. I guess it's better that she split up with the man who I am forced to call father.

A little while later, I fell asleep on the table. The door opened as my eyes shot awake. I looked at Rose as she smiled.

"Studying a bit too much, aren't you?" she asked smiling as she hung up her coat.

"Yes... Algebra is kicking my ass," I said.

"Yes it is that's why you are studying English," she says as she peeks over in the books open. I smiled as she kissed my cheek.

"What did you do at the party?" I asked as Rose looked away.

"C'mon tell me," I persisted. She didn't reply.

"Get tucked in the bed... Good night," she said as she organised my things and put them aside. She poured herself a glass of water. She stood over the sink for a minute. She was exhausted. She works too hard.

The very next morning, I woke up early. Since it was the weekend, I got dressed in a red checked dress paired with denim jacket and boots.

I pulled my hair in a ponytail and walked downstairs

Mom stood over in a pale pink shirt with a blue blazer and skirt on. She smiled as she turned over the pancakes.

Rose was already up and ready for her Sunday job at the supermarket. She works as a cashier in the morning shift.

"You should quit that!" Mom said.

"It doesn't matter. I can work. I want to support us," Rose said.

"Rose, adolescence is really small... Cherish it. I can make good money. I am an Executive Assistant now... And my salary will be increasing once the parent company changes," Mom said.

"Is Zeva leaving the feild?" Rose asked.

"Yes... It has been acquired by Sparks," Mom said as she sipped her coffee.

After a quiet breakfast with other changes in the money world which I didn't understand quite right, we drove off to Mom's office.

Mom opened the door and greeted the people.

"The children are supposed to go down 2 floors to the presentation room right to the creche facility," Mom said.

"Alright," I replied. She smiled.

"I am proud of you Mom," I said.

"I'm proud of you," Mom replied. I took the stairs down to floors and stood in front of the glass paneled creche facility.

It was a bright place, full of colourful chairs and tiles and numbers. A separated area had books neatly put. Another area had cribs.

I smiled and walked in. There weren't many small children. I picked over a girl who had tripped and straightened her frock.

"There you go..." I smiled. She smiled full of brightness.

"Would you play?" she asked.

I looked at my watch. I had to leave for the presentation soon.

"Some other time." I said. I got up swiftly and turned to come face with a boy with his hands in his pockets. He looked through the glass and his eyes met mine. He was smiling. I returned his smile.

I walked out the door to look at him.

"Aiden Sparks," he introduced.

"Skylar Bloomingham," I introduced.

"So... Where are you going?" He asked.

"Um... To the presentation room," I said.

"I'll assist you," he said. I nodded.

We started walking.

"Sparks... Did you acquire the company?" I asked.

He looked at me.

"Yes I did but not exactly. My parents did. I shall have it sometime later." He replied.

"Oh... I didn't expect you too he this young. We're here," I said. He opened the door for me. I walked in as he stood next to me.

Their was a white sofa propped up in th front.

"I'll get seated," I said.

"Come up front... Sit with me." He said.

"What?" I asked.

"I have a whole white sofa for me and I ain't needing that space... What do you say?" He asked his blue eyes looking in my brown ones.