78.

Rosalie:

We sat down on a bench under a tree, ice-cold soda cans in our hands.

"Rose... Can we talk?" Theodore asked.

"About what?" I asked.

"About the things you found in my room," he said.

"Go on," I said as I took his hand, which was surprisingly warm, in mine.

"Haley is the name of my ex-girlfriend. I fell in love with her in California. She was gorgeous, smart, charming. I met her under similar circumstances as I met you. We talked at a party and she straightforward told me that she liked me. We dated for two years and after that... She left to study in Switzerland. Not a note or a text. Just a voicemail with goodbye, Theodore. I didn't want to come off as overtly sentimental to you. That's why I hid it," he said.

"Let me tell you something... I don't love you for the looks or popularity. I love you for your emotions and your heart. And your charms and your eyes. You can be you next to me," I said.

"I was afraid that I'd put too much pressure about it on you. I didn't want to burden you," he said.

"Listen to me. You are Theodore Fucking Payne who taught me not to give a fuck about variables. You can never burden me. If anything you are my escape in the world. As for Haley, I didn't know her but I am pretty sure that I'm not her. I may have to leave sometime but just know that I am never gonna forget you," I said as I looked at his eyes that couldn't meet mine. I turned his torso towards me. I pulled him close and hugged him. He buried his head in my neck as his breath tingled. I could endure it.

I moved away for a moment as I looked at him.

"You draw so well... I never knew you could draw..." I said.

"I picked it up from my Mom. I draw things that I couldn't take my eyes away from. Even the way you look at me, I want to capture it. Rosalie, I love you with all my heart and soul. I can't think a life without you," he said.

"I love you too," I said as I kissed him. Earlier I thought that the people kissing in a public place were too boastful but it turns out I judged them without knowing who they are. We never know who others are all we know is that we can confide in them and trust them.

"You were into me for a long time. That picture was taken a really long time ago," I said smiling.

"I didn't take it," he said.

"Then how do you have it?" I asked.

"I don't remember it. I found it on the playground. I thought I'd return it but I just held onto it," he said.

"Oh..." I said.

"Is it weird?" he asked.

"It's okay," I said.

"Let's go then shall we?" I asked.

"Okay," he said.

We went back home. Everything seemed fine.

The Father-Daughter Dance was today. I didn't want to go but Sky was excited for it. She loved things like this, dressing up and having fun.

Dad knocked on the door as Sky rushed to open it, bobbing her ponytail as she walked.

Dad stood in front of the door with two bouquets in hand. He wore a red turtleneck with a black coat and pant. He looked at me, smiling.

"How do I look?" he asked just as eagerly as Skylar asked him.

"Amazing," they replied in sync.

He handed her the bouquet as she happily accepted it.

"Come on in too Tomato," he said looking at me. I walked down to him as he handed me the bouquet.

"Where is Dakota? Isn't she coming?" I asked.

"I let her go with Mr. Green. Figured it'd be hard to dance with three ladies," he said.

I had worn a red dress with a Queen-Anne neckline. I picked up our coats.

"Let's go," he said as he ushered Sky and me into the car.

The venue was lovely. Although this was a charity run, we spared no effort in arrangement.

The first song started playing as fathers held onto their daughters. Sky walked upto him but he waited. He gestured me to come.

"Biased much?" Sky asked pouting.

"You are both my daughters and both are equally important," he said adamantly as he danced with both of us.

Maybe I over-demonized him.

"Can I take a break?" I asked him.

"OK. Go," he said as he left my hand. Sky gladly took the attention. They danced together, softly and then intensely. Dad couldn't stop smiling. I was often told I was like him. Cold, distant yet warm for the ones who knew me. He isn't that bad.

He danced the next song with Dakota. She seemed to have started accepting him. Mr Green left early so he was around all three of us.

"I don't think I can dance another song," Skylar complained as he laughed letting her sit down.

"You should have wore flats sweetie," he told her grabbing her a bottle of water. Dakota was nowhere to be found and it was the last song.

He extended his arm towards me.

"Wanna give it a go?" he asked.

"Yes," I said smiling, "Dad."

He smiled even bigger as we started dancing.

"Sorry for not being able to take care of you and Sky and your Mom in the past. If you have any problem, you can approach me." he said.

I was sorry too but pride held me back.

We judge people too fast and we stick by what we presumed. He might have been an asshole for leaving Mom and me and Sky but he looked better now. He seemed happier than ever.

I'm sorry for thinking I was grown up and not asking for help when I needed it.

I held onto this one last thought as he handed his coat for Dakota to wear.

I'm sorry younger me.