44.

Aiden:

I focused into her eyes. They twinkle with a spark. Something peculiar was with her. Her face was round and bubbly and there was no way I could think of her being sad. Her smile was hopeful and beautiful and the way she laughed, not caring about people and anything. She's different.

"And that's why it's easier if we do not do further study and invent new things because if we hadn't thought about nitrogen, there won't be a nitrogen bomb. Some things are better off when they are unknown," she said. I kept looking at her eyes. They were of a peculiar shade. They were brown but they just melted to lighter towards the black dot of her eye. They were like the warmest chocolate available. I wondered how beautiful her eyes would look if she looked into fire.

"Sparks... You having a seizure?" she asked shaking me. Her hands were soft and strong as she cupped mine.

"Yeah... Um... No," I said as I straightened up.

"Are you sure?" she asked.

"Pretty sure. Skylar... I don't want to invade but that day in the library... Why did you cry?" I asked.

"As I said. Some things are better off when they are unknown to some people," she said.

"I am sorry but... I... Uh..." I stammered.

"I don't like talking about some things," she said.

"Yeah... I am sorry... I overestimated your trust in me," I said.

"Aiden... I trust you. If I didn't, I would not be here with you. I trust you but there are things I can't tell Rose. I can't tell you," she said.

"I am sorry. I don't have any such secrets. I may have overstepped," I said.

She got up as she walked over to me. I got up and looked at her.

"I trust you. It's just I don't trust my mouth enough to be open to speak about things," she said.

"I get it. Anyways, I'll pay the bill... See you outside?" I asked.

"Alright. I'll be out," she said. She walked out and I paid the bill. Later, I walked out to find her sitting on the hood of the car, her legs dangled in the air as she looked at a distinct leaf in the tree.

"Skylar? You alright?" I asked as I walked to her.

"I wanna say something to you. Its not casual for me to say this but... Here," she said as she handed me a paper from her purse with a pen.

"Write something you have been thinking about," she said.

"Alright," I said as I started writing down. I just looked at the paper. Something I wanted to happen in the future.

I wrote in letters.

'I want to know the answers. I want to know what's so peculiar and distant about her that I can't stop noticing her. I want to laugh with her and keep her close. I want to read and write about her. I want to be with her.'

"Done," I said as I looked at her.

"Now... Keep it somewhere. Somewhere no one can read it. It'll be one of the some things that you know for yourself. You don't know but our heart conveys messages like secrets. All of us have secrets. Some of us embrace it. Some of us lie about it. Some of us don't acknowledge it," she said.

"Why are you so unpredictable? The moment I think I know you just a bit more, you brings up with another one of your shades. People say that the ones who hide themselves have secrets. Yet here you are, in front of me, still as unknown to me as you were yesterday," I said.

"I'll see you tomorrow," she said as she jumped from the hood and walked away. Her hands were in her pocket and she kept walking.

Skylar:

Rose came back home as I demanded her to tell me every detail about the competition.

She told me all about it.

"So Mr. Payne did not kiss you when you won?" I asked.

"Why do you want him to kiss me?" she asked.

"So he hasn't even kissed you yet?" I asked.

"Ssh... Jeez!" she said as she looked at me.

"What's wrong with you?" she asked.

"Yes... Whats wrong with you?" I asked.

"Whats wrong with me?" she asked.

"You have been his girlfriend now and still he hasn't kissed you? And he is Theodore Payne!" I said.

"What? He has already kissed me," she said. She instantly collected herself and went hid her face.

"You didn't tell me about it!" I said.

"Some things are better off unknown to some people," she said as she got up and ran over to her bedroom.

The oven timer beeped.

I got up and removed the cupcakes. I smiled as I knocked on her door.

"Don't come in," she said.

"I have cupcakes," I said.

"You can't bribe me with gluttonous treats that are awesome and so delicious. You can't bribe me. I'm not that easy to sell," she said.

"They are moist and fluff," I said smiling.

No reply but after some times which were probably just 30 seconds.

"Maybe I am easy to sell for your gluttonous treats," she said as she opened the door for me to enter. She picked one and bit into it.

"So you and him are now officially together. That's great!" I said.

"Yeah... It's good with him," she said.

"It's good that you have another guy with you except Casey," I teased.

"Casey is my brother," she said.

"The brother that you once had a crush on. I may have problem remembering formulae but you can bet my knowledge on this one," I said.

"He was close to me and I took mixed signals. I was young and naïve. You know how it's being 12," she said.

"So you remember that as well. Do you still like him?" I asked as I bit into my cupcake.

"Yes," she replied.