82.

Skylar:

I sat down at the table, sighing after a long Saturday of completing my work.

"Anything to drink?" Mom asked as she flipped a pancake.

"A glass o' wine," I said as I looked up at her.

"On it," Mom said as she poured me cold milk and slid the glass towards me.

"I'll take my usual," I said.

"Long day, eh?" she asked as she cut up a piece of dark chocolate to go with cold milk.

"Rough one too... I've been churning wheels all day long," I said.

"That's what happens if you don't do your homework on time," Mom said as she turned to look at me. She placed her hands on the table as she lowered down just a little to be in an intimidating position.

"You know the struggles, matey," I said.

"No. I was very particular about completing homework. Staying till the end of the party, no but homework, ah yes," she laughed.

"Call Rosetta in as well," she said as she put the pancakes up.

I nodded as I walked up the stairs into her room, still drinking my milk with the bitter aftertaste of dark chocolate. I liked dark chocolate because it was so radically different from the perceived taste of chocolate.

She was on her table, her books lying open and her eyes focused on her laptop. She was looking up universities for further education.

Upon sensing an intruder arrival, she quickly shut it down as though she was flipping through something rated R.

"Mom made pancakes!" I said.

"Now?" she asked pointing at the clock.

"She wanted to eat something and I am always down for it. Come on," I said.

"It's 10.43pm. I am not hungry. I have work to do. Close the door after you," she said as she opened the laptop and flipped through her books.

"Shall I tell one of your secrets to your lovely boyfriend?" I tempted her.

"You don't know one," she smiled.

"Well... What about... Nope," I sighed, "Just this time Bloomingham."

"Thanks for the mercy, Bloomingham!" she sighed.

I got back as Mom pushed the dish towards me. She had put extra sauce in mine.

"That's why you're my gal," I said.

"Your dad used to say that... Oh and by the way, we need to go out for shopping. You can't wear any of the already worn dresses to his marriage. And I make enough to help you guys with dresses. We don't need to rely on him for your dresses. Shall we go someday to buy them?" Mom asked.

"Yeah," I said. She smiled as she took a tiny bite of her pancake and put the spoon down. She brought her laptop as she slid next to me.

"Now this can be awkward but I am thinking about what to gift them for their marriage. I was thinking maybe something like an accessory. I am unable to decide," she said.

"We don't have to," Rose said as she sat down on the table in the Mom's seat as she took a bite out of her plate.

"I can't let you girls go empty handed," she said.

"It's unnecessary. Anything we give is gonna add another pile of awkwardness and unfamiliarity between us. I suggest it's best we just go there and attend the function," Rose said as she got up and left the room.

"You are probably right," Mom said as she closed her laptop and removed her glasses. She put them on the table as she sighed.

"Eat up and then go to bed. Let's go later to buy the dresses," she said as she picked up the laptop and went to her room.

"Yeah. Sure. Love ya Mom," I said.

"Love you too, sweetheart," she said. I ate my pancake and put Mom's in the fridge. I waited for a few minutes after doing the dishes and then went back upstairs.

I changed into my pajamas and laid down on the bed. The room suddenly seemed a little too childish. I slept it off. We all gotta sleep it off.

The next morning, I woke up early and went downstairs to drink water to find Mom sitting with a half empty bottle of beer, staring into the distance. She laid her head down and immediately fell asleep. I tiptoed and took a bottle of water with me. I guess we all gotta sleep it off.

Aiden:

"Please... Pretty please? Brian is in town and we need to go on a date. Can you take care of Bree tomorrow?" Audrey asked.

"I don't even know how to change its diaper... No!" I answered.

"Mom's not in town, Dad'll be in a meeting and having a baby at the site of smooching is inappropriate," she reasoned.

"Eww... Still no," I answered.

"You always say you raised yourself. Look how good you turned out. You can take care of her. She won't be a trouble. After all she takes more after Brian," she whined.

"Okay but only if you promise me that this is the last date you'll go on," I said.

"Okay. Thanks. Lil Bro!" she called out.

"Change her diaper before you go," I said.

Only after an hour did I realise how bad and reckless my decision of agreeing to do this was. She kept vomiting. My t-shirt was stained with milk and vomit as the doorbell rang.

"Thank God you came early," I opened the door to see Skylar as she looked at me.

"What happened?" she asked.

"Bree did!" I whined. She laughed as she removed her coat and bag and sat down on the floor.

"How have you been feeding her?" she asked.

"She kept on laying on her back. She didn't have a tough spine," I said.

"You need to prop her up and make her burp after feeding!" Skylar said as she picked up the vomit covered baby and cleaned her. She then changed her dress and patted loudly on her back to make her burp.

"That's how easy it is," she said as she finally fed Bree.

How blessed is the name Skylar to be hers!