74.

Skylar:

"Sky... Get the door for me," Mom said from the kitchen.

"Got it," I said as I rushed to open the door. It was Dad.

"Hey sweetheart," he said kissing my forehead.

"Hey Dad," I said.

"Who is it?" Mon asked still working in the kitchen and not bothering to come over.

"It's me," Dad said.

Mom got out as she removed her apron and put the knife on the table.

"Martin... Come in," she hesitated.

"I wouldn't take much of your time. Just a minute," he said as he looked at Mom.

"OK... I'll just be in the kitchen then," she said. Her movements were hurried. She was acting busy to stop her mind from racing.

"You wanna come in?" I asked.

"I'd prefer if you came out," he said.

"OK," I said as I got Rose's coat. We walked on the green grass.

"I got a message from the school about the father-daughter dance. Do you want me to attend it?" he asked.

"It'd be cool if you attended it," I said.

"Okay." he said.

Awkward silence prevailed.

"So... What happened?" I asked.

"Uh... Honey I don't know how to explain this to you. I should've probably gone through Rosalie first. As you know that Celine and I are getting married... We set the date to be a month from now," he said.

"Oh... Um... 'Kay... I guess.... I mean I am happy for you," I stammered.

"Sweetheart I just want you to know that even though I am getting married to Celine, I will still love you and Rosalie just the same way. I hope you can make Dakota comfortable. She isn't exactly happy by this union," he said.

"Um... I'll try," I said.

He handed me a wedding invitation.

"Celine hasn't seen it yet. I chose it. I don't know but I want you to see it first," he said.

It was a black case with their names etched in gold colour. The box had a necklace and the invitation. The invitation paper wasn't paper but plastic-ky glass. I could see through it. Their names shone with pride on them. That's when it hit me. Dad was getting married.

I heard a knife fall as I saw how close we were standing to the kitchen window.

I got up as I rushed through the door back into the house.

"Mom?" I called her.

"Yeah... Sweetie..." she said as she turned from the kitchen table and looked at me.

"Mom wh-"

"Hey... Is that the invitation?" she asked as she wiped her hands on the kitchen towel.

"Yeah," I said.

She took it from me. She opened the case and smiled.

"Chelsea," Dad called out.

"It's beautiful. I am sure Celine'll love it," she smiled. Her phone rang in the bedroom.

"It must be Andrew. I'll handle it. I hope that you guys shall live a happy life," Mom said.

"Chelsea wait... I owe you an apology," Dad said.

"Should I give you some privacy?" I asked.

"I should have treated you and our girls better. You gave up a lot of things for me and I fucked up colossally. I don't really apologise so-"