17.

Skylar:

"Rose... Can you pour me some wisdom?" I asked her as she turned in her chair to smile brightly.

"Always," she said flicking her hair back.

"When do you think that people can feel thoroughly sated?" I asked her.

"I guess it's a feeling of relief. That you don't have to fight for anything now. You have everything," she said.

"How can one know that they have had everything when they don't even know what things they need?" I countered. She looked at me and then picked up her pen twirling it in midair.

"Rose?" I called her.

"They just feel. Maybe they do... I don't know," she said.

"Can you pass me some cookies please?" I asked her.

She didn't reply. Her pen still in the air, she looked around frantically.

"Rose? Please?" I asked again. She didn't respond. She just sat there deep in thoughts.

"Rose... You don't want me starving," I said.

"You shouldn't ask me questions that don't have answers! You know that tips me off!" she said as she passed on the box.

"Isn't that the whole point? To have questions that you can't answer. Therefore you can never be satisfied," I said.

"Hold up..." she said as she took her jacket off the hook.

"Where are you going?" I asked her but she just walked out with the house keys.

I sighed and sat back down. I kept munching on my cookies as she opened the door once again.

"Whe-?" before I could complete my wh-word, she walked back away.

Rose:

I walked on aimlessly thinking about questions.

How is it possible that some questions don't have answers?
Isn't that the whole point of answers? They are a key to problems.

721 steps. 722 steps. 723 steps. I walked on as I stopped in my tracks when Casey looked at me.

"Rose?" he called me.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him.

"You are in front of my house," he said pointing at his house.

He would have answers!

"Rose? Droning off again?" he asked as he came a step closer.

"I... Skylar just dropped a freaking question. Then funnily enough, she started eating not caring about what the answer was to that question," I said.

"Here," he said as he gave me his water bottle before ushering me to the garage that his mother had converted into a greenhouse. There were clear spotless glass windows.

I sat down on the chair as he crouched in front of me putting his hand on mine.

"Tell me what the question was," he said.

I told him.

"Rose what you argue is just the tip of the iceberg. I could get everything I wanted. I never feel sated," he said.

"I am supposed to know the answers..." I argued.

"Sometimes the toughest things to get still don't provide the level of satisfaction that the small things do," he said as he played with my thumb.

"Isn't it dumb? That questions don't have answers," I said.

He looked at me, smiling before looking back down at a plant in the distance.

"It is," he finally said with the light glinting off his hair.

"I am sorry I wasted your time," I said.

"You didn't. I would probably have counted my steps before ending up in front of your new house," he said.

"When did you start following me?" I asked him.

He laughed.

"When?" I asked him.

"Your porch. I was looking at the roses in your garden when you walked out thinking," he said.

"Why didn't you tell me earlier?" I asked him.

"Except I couldn't," he said.

"Why?" I asked him.

"It's just one of the other answers that'll go unanswered. You were deep in thought. Me interrupting you would have been the equivalent of someone never reading Shakespeare or Kant not being born." he said.

"You are the best," I said.

"Only when I am with you," he said.

"I love you," I said as I got up and hugged him.

He patted my back before he pulled me closer to him.

"You are kind of like a bear," I said snuggling closer.

We parted as he sat down.

"What do you wanna do now?" I asked him.

"I was gonna go on a date with May," he said smiling.

"Oh really?" I asked raising an eyebrow.

He nodded, grinning.

"Need some pre-date advise?" I asked him.

"All the wisdom you can pour in," he said. I gestured him to come closer to me.

He got up still grinning as he stood in front of me.

"Next time, try a better lie," I said jokingly pushing him slightly as he laughed.

"Hey! I ain't that a rejected man!" he said.

"Then who are you waiting for?" I asked him. He smiled as he walked around the greenhouse.

"Come on... I even know what will be scoring in the next test... Tell me," I urged as I caught up with him. He bent down caressing the leaf tenderly.

"C'mon... You know I need answers!" I said dramatically.

"You know my score because you know I'll score full!" he said.

"Bragging much?" I asked folding my arms and looking him in eye and pouting.

He shrugged.

"You didn't shrug on me!" I said as we started teasing each other, making faces like couple of children. I messed his hair as he went on to mess mine. I was swifter. I ran off to the backyard that stretched for a few yards. He caught up with me as we both sat down under the shade on the green grass.

"Tell me now," I said.

He didn't sat anything just picked up a twig and started playing with it.

"Who is she?" I asked.

"I... She has brunnete hair, she smiles a lot, is caring, is a maniac. She is great!" he said.

"Then you should pursue her," I said as I looked at him.

He looked at me smiling crookedly.

"Yeah. I will," he said.