33.

Theodore:

Rose replied my message as the chain started.

"Yeah. What happened?" she asked.

"Just nothing. I am offended that Miss Marshall doesn't give our team the resources," I said.

"I think that your team is already famous around here and it's time that the school invests in something regarding academics," she said.

"Well then we stand on crossroads," I said. I called her as she picked up.

"Don't you think it'll be beneficial for the school to win the trophy and get the grant?" she asked.

"That means they can dump the football team," I said.

"I am not saying that. What I mean is that this way our school's intellect will shine," she argued.

"At the cost of my team," I said infuriated.

"There is another charity event that needs to be taken care of!" she said.

"Basically, our school's broke," I said.

"C'mon," she said.

I disconnected the call and threw my phone on the couch.

I sat down on the bed with my head between my hands.

Mom knocked on the door as I looked up.

"Gee... You fought with someone?" she asked as she took my hands in hers.

I ran my fingers through my hair.

"Theo," Mom said as she looked at me and patted my shoulder.

"You should know that no matter what happens, mama is always proud of you," she said.

"Thanks," I said as I looked at her.

She smiled before kissing my cheek.

"Mama..." I said as she ruffled my hair.

"I know you like it," she said as she walked away.

The next day, at practice time, I was unable to focus and fell down.

"Fuck!" I sweared as I punched the mud.

In the changing room, the atmosphere became full after the announcement of the team most likely withdrawing their name.

"Shall we convince Miss Marshall?" Carlos asked.

"She won't listen. That's why we need a male Principal," Walter said.

"Shut up Walter. This isn't boy mascot race. Think of something," I said.

Words were exchanged and annoyed glances too.

"It's decided. We are gonna do something about it. We won't step down," I said.

We cheered. Coach walked in as all of us resumed changing. The coach took me aside.

"What's with the game, Payne?" he asked.

I looked down at the grass, fists clenched.

"Don't be so hard on yourself, Payne," Coach said as he walked over to me.

"What's wrong? Where's your mind?" he asked as he pulled me with him and sat down next to me on the stands.

"Miss Marshall denied the team playing the states," I said.

"I see... The school is falling out on resources," he said.

"And they are putting our money into some stupid quiz show," I said.

"If they win the quiz show, we'll get a grant of fifty thousand dollars," he said.

"That's good money," I said.

"That's why Miss Marshall wants them to compete and win in this selection," coach said.

"When do the registration for States begin?" I asked.

"Around 9th of this month. They end by 30th of the next month," Coach said.

"The quiz show finals are around 22nd. If they are able to win, we might get allowed onto the charts," I said.

"That's not exactly possible. The questions are really hard and the competition is really aggressive. Each school sends their best. What if they lose?" Coach asked.

"They won't," I said.

"How can you be so sure?" he asked.

"Cuz I am gonna join them. And of course there is Rosalie," I said as I cracked my knuckles and got up.

I read the notice that had been applied as I removed it off and carried it over to the room where Casey and Rose were discussing something.

"Theodore," she said as she looked up.

"I am still not in your favour. However though, you don't need to do a competition for the selection," I said as I put the paper on the desk.

"Why did you remove it?" Rose asked.

"You don't speak up for my team, I play with yours," I said.

"What is this stupid act, Payne?" Casey asked.

"This isn't an act. And if the team is going in to the competition, it has to win. And for it in order to win, I have the best names," I said.

"How can we trust without a fair chance for all?" Casey asked.

"Fair chance? Alright, prepare some scumbag questions and ask the needs to solve them. Make it a rat race and the ones who run fast will win," I said.

Casey looked at Rose.

"What?" Casey asked.

"Wait... I agree with what you said. Day after tomorrow, your team versus ours. Bring it on," Rose said.

"I do never disappoint," I said as I walked out smirking.

Rose:

"That's pretty much a suicide! God knows who he'll bring!" Casey said.

"He sounded pretty confident. There must be something on his mind," I said.

"Him and his crazy ideas!" Casey said as he got up and left the room. I removed the question paper and read the questions. I hadn't thought of it this way. All of it was based on bookish knowledge alongside some general questions. None of it was practical.

I tore the paper up as I picked up my bag and rushed to the library. I opened a fresh page and started thinking about some questions.

Over the next 15 minutes, I stared at the paper, point blank without anything in my mind. I got tired as I leaned into my chair.

It's damn tiring. I sighed as I got up and rushed back down for the next class.

I looked around in the hallways examining the groups around me. The jocks walking in together as the nerds keep it to themselves. The cheerleaders blow kisses over to their boyfriends.

It is in fact true. Many-a-times, we unknowingly wage a war between the nerds and the others who may be better at street life.

It's a system of rat race. None of us have ever escaped it. Nor ever will.