11.

Theodore:

"Hustle harder for the homecoming season... We want the trophy again! Get going boys!" the coach who was a really good and a happy-go-lucky fella said.

"Oh and I forgot... Dismissed!" He said smiling.

Carlos put his hand around my shoulder as we walked back to the locker room.

"Tell me all about it," he said.

"About what?" I asked.

"The date... What base did it go?" he asked.

"Honestly... We didn't even kiss. It's alright though. We need to figure it out," I replied grabbing my towel.

"Damn! You are mending your ways? Isn't it supposed to be sex the third date?" He asked.

I closed the shower room and changed into my yellow t-shirt.

Carlos sat down in front of the room smiling slyly.

"C'mon creep!" I said as I tossed the towel at him. He caught it and put it in my locker closing the door leaning against it.

"Stop it..." I said as I walked out. I found Rose sitting on a bench under the shade as she sipped water, a book opened in her lap and her legs crossed. Her head slightly bent backwards for the flow of water. She wiped the trace of water from her lip using her handkerchief.

I was about to walk up to her before Casey came in with Skylar. Casey held the book for Rose as she got up and picked her stuff.

She looked at me and smiled sweetly before giving the car keys to Skylar. She walked away with Casey, talking.

I didn't notice that Skylar was looking at me as she approached further.

"Hey!" she said.

"Hey," I said.

"Can I ask you a question?" she asked.

"Sure... Go ahead," I urged.

"Can you tell me what happened on the date with Rose?" she asked.

"Oh... Is she acting weird?" I asked her.

"Honestly, she isnt telling me anything and thats what is worrying me!" she said.

"We had fun in the amusement park... By the way, what happened in the morning? Why did she rush out so immediately as if she didn't want to see me?" I asked her.

"It wasn't because of you... It was... Something else," Skylar replied as her eyes trailed down for a minute.

"Anyways... We havent bonded much... Let me treat you," I said.

"Well... I really shouldn't eat with a stranger but since it's food, I can't help!" she said.

"So, you in or out?" I asked her.

"Let's go!" she smiled brightly.

The only thing missing in her overall aura was that she wasn't skipping her steps.

I let her order as she settled for an ice cream.

She ate it smiling like a child.

People were walking in and out.

"Hey um... Did your sister mention me before we started going out?" I asked her.

"She did... Interestingly she referred to you as a freak who always played pranks," she replied.

"People change," I said.

"She's glad that you didn't," Skylar replied disposing off the ice cream.

"I guess I'll pay," she said.

"Let me do it," I said getting up. She nodded and I paid for the ice cream.

Later, I walked her over to the parking lot.

"One more tip of advice for you, sinking ship, Rose wants to feel a fierce connection. She doesn't want fire." she said and then rolled off the parking lot with the car. I leaned against the metal of my car wondering what Skylar had meant.

Rose:

"With the papers due, I feel so suffocated," I said to Casey.

"Well, you need a break," he declared closing the books for me as he got up and gently massaged my head.

"You will be a really great massuesse," I said.

"That's my dream ambition!" He joked. I smiled.

"You over strain yourself. You need to take breaks and feel free," he said.

"I can't afford to... Homecoming is coming up and the workload is increasing," I said.

"Let me work at the library at hours. You need to take some rest... Take a vacation for the rest of the day," he said.

"Yeah... Actually you know being with Theodore is really relieving," I said.

"You are going out with Theodore... Is... Is it official?" He asked as he eased over to my shoulders.

"We are figuring it out... You know its weird for me," I said.

"Oh," he said.

"Will you promise me one thing?" he asked.

"You'd let me kill that bastard if he hurts you," Casey said. I smiled and got up.

"Of course I will... Later after I bludgeon him to death!" I said as I hugged him.

"You are a freak!" He said laughing.

"We are one," I said. He laughed.

"Anyways... Do you know that Mom is coming over tomorrow?" he said excitedly.

"Finally. It's been quite a while," I said.

He smiled as we continued talking.

Life didn't contain much for me. It was fairly the same. Waking up, hustling hard. Working, studying, eating. Everything is just the same. Except maybe for Theodore. He is different. He is good. He is a mystery.

The whole August and most of the September passed with me studying, Skylar shining and Casey preparing.

Casey had become my friend long back in kindergarten.

We clicked. He had a great level of humor and a great level of intelligence. We used to freak out our mothers because we were so different. While others like playing with cars and Barbies, we enjoyed Abacus.

We were ways ahead a step. We were freaks to others. Maybe that's why we felt so safe together.

We have had our fair share of fights and sleepless nights as we spent talking. My Mom trusted none of the guys except Casey for me.

Casey was a good guy. Amiable. Sweet. Poetic and angelic.

September was Spring, the time when new things bloomed. September was Homecoming Month.

Preparations started taking place in the campus. The teams hustling harder than before and the hallways being elaborately strung up with banners. The cheer squad practised new routines and the drama group put on a new play.

Theo and I only had one date and I was beginning to think that it was over before it even started.

I guess I hadn't anticipated that Theodore had been planning something all along....