52.

Rosalie:

I pounded on his door as tears dripped from my cheeks onto my dress.

"Jesus. Rosalie," Casey said as he looked at me.

"What happened? Did you get assaulted or something?" he asked.

"I fucked it up," I said as he pulled me closer to him.

He hugged me as I cried onto his shirt.

"Wanna come in?" he asked.

I kept on crying. He picked me up a little as I held onto his shirt.

He put me down on the couch. I clenched his shirt in my grasp.

"What happened? Tell me. I'll help you," he said.

I kept on crying as he looked at me.

"Let me bring you water," he said. I shook my head and pulled him closer.

"Don't go. Please," I wept.

"I am not going anywhere. Here," he said as he removed his shirt off and handed it to me.

"I won't be able to go out naked," he said.

"But you have others in your closet," I argued still crying. He smiled as I realised what he had done.

I straightened up and wiped my tears.

He got up and brought water for me. I was parched. I gulped it down as he looked at me.

"Tell me," he said as he removed a cream from my purse. Skylar always used to fall down. I am used to being the pharmacy.

"It's my father. He is remarrying," I said as tears started forming up but I constricted them. I told him everything. Even about Skylar.

"What the hell?" he asked. I nodded.

"And he hits you on top of it. That bastard," he said. He removed the cream and held my face in his hands. He tenderly applied the cream on my lip.

He was so focused. He leaned a bit closer as he assessed the blood clot on my lip.

"I think that this will wear off soon enough. As for the blood, you can hide it by using a lipstick," he said.

"I am so tired of hiding things. Am I the only one who is fucked up?" I asked him.

"No. We all have demons. Some of our demons are less powerful. Or submissive. But your demons... They are oppressive. You have always won over them. They try and take revenge. Sometimes they overpower. It's all just one of these things," he said.

"You are not fucked up," I retorted.

"Oh. More than you can believe. I am afraid of losing the things that I have now. I am weird. I don't want to venture new things because I am afraid of not having the things that I have now. I have people that I love and care about. One of my demons is also about you. Not losing you but surpassing you. I am afraid that in this race we'd both run hard and fast and someday surpass and the other one shall remain behind and out of side. I can't afford to lose you like that. Not to some demon," he said. I handed him the t-shirt. He wore it as I looked at him.

"You know that you can trust me right?" he asked.

I nodded.

"I have some work to do. I'll go and be back in about half-an-hour. You should rest here. I'll leave the house to you alright. You can't go home now. Neither of them. I'll be back," he said. I nodded as he hugged me again and patted my back.

"You don't think I am the devil, do you?" I asked.

He smiled.

"You are a devil. Don't lose to a demon," he said. I smiled as he closed the door.

He was one of them. I told him things that I didn't tell anyone. He knew my demons. All of them. I trusted him so much. All the times I won, he was the second. Yet he always clapped. He always smiled. He is like a bright sky. Beautiful and vast and bright. He wasn't a believer of Fairytales either. He read those stories so that he's know what others lived. He was a realist. He was an optimist. And I am so grateful that he, of all people, never turned his back on me.

My phone rang as I looked at the screen. It was Theodore. I switched my phone off and closed my eyes. I touched my swollen cheek and the lips. They burned.

I waited patiently. Exactly an hour later, he came back with things. I feigned sleep as I watched him work. He assembled the things. He walked towards me as he sat down looking at my face.

"You are the best devil I have ever met," he said.

"I love you," he said.

"And I know that you are awake," he added as he put his legs on the table.

"I love you too," I said.

"It is weird how often we say that," I said. I was rested and felt better. The guilt didn't sink in.

"Must be for others. We have always been together. Of course we love each other," he said.

I smiled.

"Where did you go?" I asked him.

"Um oh... Supermarket," he said.

"Which one?" I asked.

"Greg's," he answered tossing an apple towards me.

"The bags are from Nolan's," I answered as I got up.

"Why are you lying?" I asked.

"Case solved. Casey is guilty. I had gone to a friend," he said.

"Ha! Find a better lie. Who do you have rather than me," I said.

"Promise me you'd try to understand and not be mad," he said.

"What did you do?" I asked.

"I was angry. I acted out of spite. I didn't realise until I was in with Martin in his study," he said.

"YOU DID WHAT?" I asked him.

"I didn't know. I didn't want to. I lashed out," he apologized.

"You think I am gonna believe that? You just lied to me. How did you become angry? You were perfectly calculative just a few moments ago," I said.

"I LIED BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO HURT YOU. You think that I am calm but I am fucking not!" he said.

"Even you think I am someone to protect. Its unbelievable!" I got up and slammed the door of his house shut.