21.

Rose:

"Is it necessary?" I asked when Theodore gave me a board with his name and a heart.

"Be my private cheerleader," he said.

I rolled my eyes.

"I'd love to see you dance with my name on a board," he said.

"You'd absolutely love that won't you?" Dakota said as she walked in standing in front of me, her hand on Theodore's shoulder as she bent slightly. She was the cheer captain and I was merely a person who was watching it.

"Dakota... Um... The cheerleaders are down there," Theodore said.

"I know," she smiled as she turned on her tiptoes kissing Theodore's cheek and the side of his mouth as he walked a step back. She bowed slightly and walked away throwing a smirk at me.

I looked at him. Waiting for an explanation.

"I..." he opened his mouth as I looked at him and clenched my fists. I walked back to the stands and sat down looking squarely in his eyes.

He was called in by the Coach.

"Alright... The Weston International Knights going against the Brentwood Bulls marking the end of this season's semi-finals. Who can score more? The captain for the Knights is Theodore Payne going head to head against the captain of the Bulls Gordon Brown," the announcer announced as Theodore shook hands with Gordon.

He muttered something with a sly smile on his face.

The round began as Theodore ran over to the side and kicked it halfway only to slide on the slippery glass and land on his hip. He got back up and ran over against his mates. The ball passed over to him as he kicked it squarely into the net of the goalpost.

"That's one y'all," the announcer said. The cheerleaders performed their routine with Dakota cartwheeling and jumping onto the top with her arms outstretched. She jumped back down as two other caught her.

I once had tried out for the cheer squad as a way to boost my popularity around here. Dakota was the second in lead and she disapproved of me. I wasnt chosen.

Not that it mattered but rejection is something I can't deal with. I have to have it. I want it and I need it.

In the meantime, the Bulls had gained a lead and were in a better position.

When the referee declared half-time, Theodore removed his gear and threw it down running fingers against his sweaty head. He picked his gear and glanced furiously at Gordon as Carlos put his arm around Theodore muttering something as he pulled him over to the side stands.

The cheer squad took a break and sat down with their skinny legs crossed in the same manner as each other and drank water and talked.

The halftime break was over and the match recommenced.

The play on the field became aggressive. The ball was flying past and Carlos was hit by the opposite player giving a penalty.

The field almost radiated energy. Bad energy. Theodore took the ball when Carlos was hit and didn't let anyone even get close to it. He hit it straight into the net.

The last thirty seconds remained and the ball was still in play.

"And Brown almost took it over to the post when Greg bolted and kicked it away. The ball now over to Theodore as he runs. He runs like a swift deer. The ball never leaves his foot as the goalie gets ready for a tough fight with Theodore. He kicks it and the goalie catches it," the announcer announced.

"Classic," Theodore said loudly before kicking the ball into the goalpost and the goalie holds his shoe.

When did he untie it?

"The Knights win the match heading off to the finals of this season..." the announcer's voice trailed off as I looked at Theodore. He removed his gear looking over at Gordon bowing slightly smiling. Gordon lost it. He ran over to Theodore. Theodore had anticipated it. He motioned him to come faster as he ran round and round the field letting the crowd go crazy.

Gordon was stopped by the referee as Theodore laughed walking over to Carlos as he threw him a water bottle.

I didn't realise uptil then that I had his sign up in the air. I blushed and took the sign down smiling to myself.

He came over after the latter part of the match.

"You are crazy," I said.

"You too," he laughed.

We laughed together as he took his hand in mine. We walked out of the stadium to the gate.

"Is the stage ready for tomorrow's homecoming? The trophy for the football is also coming back home," he said in almost pure confidence. I laughed as he put his hand on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry. Dakota is my ex and she does this. Whatever she did doesn't matter, does it?" he asked.

"Well... I won't want my boyfriend being everyone's kissing person," I said.

"I am sorry. Also, what's the deal with Casey?" he asked me.

"What about him?" I asked.

"Yesterday I had a very very awkward encounter with him. He told me to back off. He thinks I am not good enough for you. I think he has something for you," he said. I laughed.

"Why are you laughing?" he asked.

"C'mon. He is probably joking. He must be playing with you. He won't have anything for me. He is my childhood friend!" I  said.

"You don't believe me? Seriously? I know he has something for you," he said.

"No...you are mistaken," I said.

"You don't believe me?" he asked me.

"I do but he certainly is just being protective. He is my best friend. He isnt fantasizing about something," I urged.

"You bewitch me. You don't understand. I know that look. He has something for you... I..." he trailed off and walked away.

He is reading it wrong. Casey is a good friend. We have been together since children and he... No. Theodore is wrong!