Chapter five

"What did Valentine tell you?", Raphael asked as him, Alec and Maia grabbed some juice and enjoyed their break in the chill out area. "Actually, it's kind of a big deal. He told me that Julian is Helens younger brother." Maia covered her mouth with her hand, eyes wide opened:" You can't be serious." Alec bit his lip and nodded:" Whatever he asks me to do, I will have to do. I mean he is a terrible dancer but I will have to make him a good one. Whatever he does I will have to cover for him." Raphael rolled his eyes:" That's soooo fucked up. Whatever this dude does, nobody will complain or be able to say anything against it. We all are his understudies." Alec nodded:" Exactly. Especially me." Maia shook her head:" No, we are all in this together. We will help you, you won't have to do it all on your own. His best friend and also dance partner Emma is my year one student so I will be in all the partnering rehearsals as well. We can do it together." "And if I can I will try to assist you. If you need anything just let me know.", Raphael said. Alec smiled. It was nice to know that his friends had his back and really were supporting him and trying to help. And from what he has seen, that Emma girl was pretty good so she wouldn't be another burden. "Thanks a lot. ", He said. "Actually, Raph, I see you were struggling with that one arm lift, is everything okay?", He added and Raphael shrugged:" I honestly don't know, man. I used to work so well with Maureen but somehow I feel like I can't lift her anymore." "What do you mean?", Alec frowned. Raphael had the most amazing technique of all of them and he was one of the strongest dancers in the studio. "I just can't. It is a basic lift, I doubt I forgot how to do it." "Do you think she maybe gained weight over summer holidays?", Maia asked insecurely. This was kind of a secret topic. She knew that she had to stay in shape in order to be a good dancer. If she would be too heavy she knew Alec couldn't lift her anymore and that would be a big problem. She knew she couldn't gain weight and when she was younger she was afraid to grow too high. Raphael bit his lip. You could clearly see how uncomfortable he was with the topic. Of course he didn't want to bodyshame or anything but this just put him in a very uncomfortable situation:" Yeah, I have to admit I thought about it as well. I don't think I got weaker over break, I did a lot of fitness so I should be able to bring my A game right now." Alec frowned:" What are you planning on doing?" Raphael shrugged:" There really isn't much I can do, unfortunately. I think I will just have a look at what she eats at lunch and just go with it for a little way, I think we both just have to adopt to the situation and it will sort itself out eventually." Maia nodded:" Sounds like a plan. Maybe it will sort itself out." Alec nodded although he wasn't convinced. Of course Raphael didn't want to talk to Maureen about it and wanted to make sure their idea was right but he was just not a fan of believing that everything will be fine just because it has to. In his past, that way of thinking has lead him nowhere and definitely not to success. "Alright, I will have to go upstairs and see my pointe shoes.", Maia said and rolled her eyes. Alec laughed. He really wasn't jealous of that. "Stop laughing you idiot!", She chuckled and gave him a slight Puch against his shoulder. Raphael was giggling too. "Why am I even friends with you? You guys are unbelievable! You know, it's actually very sexist that only women have to wear those." Raphael grinned:" Yeah well maybe it is but it's also sexist that men almost always have to frame the ladies." Maia frowned:" So you say we get more attention and that's why it's okay that we are in so much more pain than you guys because of those stupid shoes? Oh I am so sorry that your life is so easy, I totally understand why you would want it to me more painfully stressful and pressuring." Alec laughed:" Well technically our life is painful, stressful and pressuring as well because we have to actually lift you into the weirdest positions ever, we have to always make sure our dancing is on point but not too extreme so it would take the focus off the lady. And yes it also is pressuring because sometimes you can't do that stupid lift or you can't hold it but you also can't just drop the lady so all you are thinking about is the lady." Raphael laughed:" I would absolutely say that especially ballet is sexist but it definitely has painfully stressful and pressuring written all over it, no matter which gender you have." Maia laughed:" I could agree on that. Still, that pointe shoe stuff is really unfair. I would give a lot to see you just one hour on pointe." Alec laughed:" It undoubtedly would be hilarious, I think Raphael would do a great job." "As much as I like the idea this is not happening. I am not breaking all my toes and spraining both my ankles for your amusement, I may be weird but not that weird." Maia grinned:" I would rather say 'I might be committed, but not that commited." Alec grinned:" As crazy as you are Raph, you aren't that insane and honesty that thought is calming." Raphael laughed and stood up. "Okay, I'll get some sleep and see you tomorrow!", He said and the three friends wished each other goodbye leaving in three different directions.