Chapter twelve

"How was your day?", Emma asked Alec and Maia at lunch. She was being scarily nice. "Pretty good.", Alec lied. Something was telling him not to involve Emma and Julian in his personal stuff. "And yours?", Maia asked while finishing her lunch. "Ours was miserable. We had to do partnering and it was horrible. We just don't seem to get the lifts right!", Emma said, obviously leading the conversation in that one direction. Maia and Alec exchanged a quick look- no way. "Oh, I am sorry to hear that.", Maia said, "You'll get it one day!" Good one. Emma looked a little pissed- it was obvious that this was not how she wanted the talk to go. "But we won't be able to do it without you! We were thinking, maybe we can train every evening together?", Emma asked with the voice of an angel. "I'm sorry but that won't work. Maia and I have our own assignments to finish and besides we have homework and stuff. We just simply can't fit it into our sheudles, sorry.", Alec said. "Hey, Julian! How is your day!", A rather unknown voice asked from behind. A young lady stepped next to Julian and stroke his hair- it was not some woman. It was Helen Blackthorn, head of the academy and Julian's big sister. Right there in front of them. This was trouble. "It's good! We were just asking Maia and Alec, our partners from year two if they could practice with us. Maybe now?", Julian said with an evil smile in Alec's direction. This was it. There was no way out. They completely had Maia and Alec under control. "Sure.", Maia said with the fakest smile Alec has ever seen. "Good!", Helen said and walked away. Alec emptied his water. Nasty little beasts. "Just that we're clear here,", Julian hissed," You will do whatever we want you to do. You will always cover for us and when we ask you to train with us, no matter how long or how often, you do that. Because if not, I will tell Helen and she will make this year at NYABM like hell for you. And maybe there will be no next year. So I highly recommend you to do as you are told and train. Understood?" As good as Alec was in controlling his temper, he hated being bossed around too much. He felt like he was about to explode. Or at least beat the living crap out of Julian. Luckily, Maia went first:" It's settled then.", She said with a scarily cold voice which even made Alec shiver. Maia was champion of controlling her emotions. "Good, then.", Emma said with that disgusting bright smile on her face, "We will meet you in tumbling room two in ten." Then they rushed off. "I cannot express how much I hate them right now.", Alec said. "Me neither.", Maia sighed, "We underestimated them. They have miss Blackthorn in their side, we are beaten." Alec sighed:" I guess we are. But how are we going to proceed?" Maia shrugged:" I don't know about you but I can't do a single lift anymore today. I think maybe we should just ask them to show us what else they have got, like in the jumps and turns department. It won't be less exhausting, but at least it would be something different so we could at least get a little bit of rest." Sounds good.", Alec said. "We could also take turn of half an hour- the first 30 minutes you are their teacher, then me. Then we switch again. Then the other one could do some homework meanwhile or just simply relax or stretch. Maybe we can use the time a little more effectively that way.", Maia suggested and Alec nodded:" That makes sense. Let's do that." "Here goes nothing.", Maia said and stood up to get to the tumbling room. Two hours of practice and another two hours of contemporary theory later, Alec finally dropped his dancebag in his dorm where Magnus was already waiting for him. "Hey, how was your day?", He asked. "Pretty much crap.", Alec replied, "I'll shower and we'll talk then, okay?" "Alright.", Magnus replied and waited for Alec to come back. Ten minutes later Alec exited the bathroom, freshly showered, sweatpants and a T-shirt, damp hair. He grabbed an Apple and dropped himself onto one of the kitchen chairs- it felt good to be home a little bit earlier. Maia and him beat the crap out of Julian and Emma so they left practise more exhausted, for the first time ever. "What happened?", Magnus asked. "Well, Julian, Emma, Maia and me had an interesting talk today.", Alec started. After telling the whole story, Magnus jaw dropped:" They seriously are threatening you? This can't be happening!" Alec sighed:" I know. And it's not making an situation any easier. I mean today we kind of made our way through it but that won't work for long. And it's not like their jumps are good, both of them massively lack technique!" Magnus ran his hand through his hair:" Any chance I can help you?" Alec shook his head:" I think Maia and I will have to go through this alone. But just letting you know that we will find a way out of it, Promise. It just takes time. We will spend more we-rime together when I figure it out, okay?" "Sure.", Magnus nodded, "And I still am really sorry things didn't work out yesterday. I just hope maybe we could have a good date night next week? This time I will be the one preparing it." Alec smiled weakly:" Sounds good. Tuesday?" Magnus grinned:" Tuesday it is." He wanted to make this evening special. And he already had quite a couple of ideas in mind. "And your day?", Alec asked. "Pretty normal. Nothing special.", Magnus sighed and walked over to the bedroom, followed by Alec, "I'll have to do my homework now." Alec nodded:" Do that. You don't want to get in trouble. I'll try to catch some sleepy if that okay with you?" Magnus smiled:" Sure. Have some rest." Then he kissed him softly. "Good night.", He whispered. "Good night.", Alec mumbled, already half asleep.