Hesitate

I love hearing from all of you. Please continue letting me know what you think of this book.

Mark telling me that letting me go was a mistake made me confused. I hate him for what he did to me and yet here he is, being charming. It makes it harder to fully hate him but the things he did to me are still on my mind. Every time I Montgomery Shepard it all comes rushing back. But being in the OR with him clouds my judgment. In my heart, he is still the man I was in love with but my mind tells me to keep it professional and move on like I planned to do. Now George's father needs surgery on his heart and it's making all of this that more real. When one of us is hurting we all are. George is trying to stay strong but it's hard when he can't be on his own father's case which is a good thing even if he doesn't see it that way.

"What happened?" Alex asks as we all gown up for an upcoming trauma.

"Driver lost control of his car, plowed through the fish market at The Warf." Bailey informs us. "At least a dozen injuries. I need all hands on deck."

"All hands? Does that mean all hands or just all hands?" Izzie asks and I can tell Bailey is already at her limit.

"Stevens, uh, you shouldn't have been paged. You can uh, go take over on Mr. O'Malley he's having his surgery today with Dr. Burke."

"Uh, that's my case. I'm with Burke." Cristina quickly interjects.

"You have traumas rolling into the pit. She can take over for you."

"So, I get to scrub in? Thanks."

"But..."

"Stevens, you will not scrub in. You will not handle any instruments. You will not move or talk or do anything other than breathe and watch." Bailey corrects Izzie who I think is crazy to think they would let her back to full duty after what she did.

"Candy striping again. No problem." Izzie goes off to do her work while leaving Cristina on edge which makes me wonder what is wrong with her. She's always more intense than the rest of us but this is different.

"Where is George? Why isn't he here?" Cristina comes up to Meredith and me.

"I don't know. He switched shifts with me." I explain to her.

"Dr. Bailey...um, I just wanted to say, Dr. Burke requested me on the O'Malley case. So if I have to go..." Bailey is shaking her head and Meredith and I share a look. "I mean, Izzie can't even scrub in, so if and when my attending asks for me..."

"Well if and when then you have to go, don't you?" Bailey sasses at Cristina. We follow her into the pit and its chaos. "Grey, trauma room one, Yang man that stretcher. Karev and Benosit come with me."

__________________________________
Bailey assigns Alex and me to our respected areas but the doors to the ER open and I'm startled seeing a woman drenched in blood looking like she's straight out of the movie Carrie looking at us. "Ma'am!" I walk over to her to assess her injuries. "I need a stretcher over here!" I call out as I make my way toward her.

"I think I might be parked in a red zone." She collapses in my arms and I catch her before she plummets to the floor.

"Oh, I need a stretcher, please!" I call out again.

"Good catch Benoist." Montgomery-Shepard joins me in assessing the woman's injuries. I nod my head not wanting to speak to her more than needed.

"Can you tell us what happened?" I ask the woman.

"I flew through a window. I flew."

"Here are my two favorite ladies." Addison and I glare at Mark who comes up to us with a smirk plastered on his face. "Can you tell me your name?"