Chapter One

The setting afternoon sun lit up nearly empty library. I walked in and greeted the staff like normal. "Looking for a new read miss Evans?" The head librarian smiled when I returned a grin. "You know it Mrs. Winnie." "Have fun." I smiled more as I swung my purse across my body and headed up the stairs into the adult section.

This was my seventeenth time visiting the public library this week alone. I paraded around the shelves that towered over me. Most of these books were donated by the community and I had read at least 85 percent of them by the time I turned 10. Today felt different, like something good was going to happen this time. Something exciting. I couldn't help but wonder what great thing the library would bring me today.

That was the thing with the library, wonderful things happened here. I had met my best friend of thirteen years, Sarah Marin here. She and I would race here after elementary school and giggled about Sarah's crush on Elijah. The two of them eventually got together with my help and have been together ever since. They're so cute together and they never let me feel like a third wheel whenever we are all hanging out together. I was so happy for Sarah, she deserved to be happy. Now, where was my prince charming? He had to be out there somewhere, I just didn't know where.

I kept walking until I saw a book that captured my attention. I carefully pulled it off the shelf when a foreign voice startled me, making me jump. "Oh I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you." The voice spoke as I caught my breath. "It's okay. You didn't mean to." I looked up to see who the voice belonged to. It was a rather handsome man who was over 6 feet tall and looked like he was in his early 30s . The man smiled, "A history buff or class assignment?" I laughed, the library was too empty for people to complain about the noice. "Would you believe me if I told you that I just enjoy reading?" I tucked my hair behind my ear and looked up at the gentleman. He was over a foot taller than me so my neck strained to look at him. "Here, let's sit down so you don't hurt your neck." He walked over to one of the study tables and pulled out a chair for me. "Oh, um thank you." I blushed as I sat down, still holding the book.

The man sat across from me. "I love reading too so I believe it. I will say it is nice to see that people still read." I giggled, "I couldn't agree more. Reading has always been something I've loved, ever since I was little." The mysterious man smiled at me and I found myself slowly falling for him, even if he was quite a bit older than me. "I'm Violet." Extending my arm out in a handshake. "Alaric." He shook my hand, little did I know what would happen next.