Hopefully Not [3/3]

The final part! I can't believe this series stretched out into three chapters. I hope you all enjoyed the ride :)
Also, I just realised that I've been spelling Micheal wrong for this entire book and I don't know how to feel about that.

••

Jeremy comes back to the apartment eventually. He lives there, he has to come back. When he does, everything is back to normal; the old normal, that is.
Jeremy acts like he hates Micheal, and Micheal just watches in misery and embarrassment.

"Jeremy"

Jeremy's spoon clinks hard against his cereal bowl.

"Please, you have to talk to me eventually"

The spoons clinks again as Jeremy takes another spoonful, shoving it into his mouth.

"Jeremy, about what you said-"

Micheal is interrupted by Jeremy standing quickly to his feet. He wordlessly throws his now empty bowl into the sink. Without looking at his roommate, Jeremy returns to his bedroom for the rest of the day.
Micheal watches him go from his seat at the table. His heart aches with guilt- can it be called guilt? This is unlike anything he felt before and probably lacks a name. He felt . . . icky. Icky and bad.

Micheal leans back in his chair. His hands rub his face.
"It can't end like this" he mutters. "Our story  end like this"

But how do you restore a story you shattered into ending?

Micheal does the only thing he knows to do; he calls the lesbians.
Brooke and Christine come over immediately, armed to the teeth with whatever they may need to comfort Micheal. They don't know exactly why he needs comforting, but them can sense that somethings wrong.

"Talk to us, Mike" Brooke sits opposite him as Christine makes tea.

Micheal is slouched. His arms cross his chest defensively. He has intimate eye sex with a stain on the table cloth.
"I fucked things up with Jeremy" his voice oozes shame.

Brooke glances to Christine for a millisecond before locking eyes with Micheal.
"Can you . . . expand on that?"

Micheal sighs. "He told me that he loves me and I just-"

"Is that what you want to hear, huh? That I want to be your boyfriend? That for every night since the wedding I've just want to tell you that I love you? Cause guess what asshole, I love you; but in this second-"

"I froze"

"-I've never hated you more"

"And now he won't talk to me" Micheal practically slams his head down, groaning into the table cloth.

"Where's Jeremy now?" Brooke has unleashed therapist mode.

"In his room" Micheal says into the table. "Don't worry, he won't interrupt us. He doesn't leave his room 20 hours of the day"

"That's concerning" Christine mutters as she picks up the now boiled kettle.

"Micheal" Brooke says gently yet firmly. "In order to sort this out, we need to figure one thing out. Do you love him back?"

The question that has circled Micheal's head has come to a stop, halting in front of his eyes.
Does he love Jeremy?

Love is a complicated thing. It's not a simple as romantic feelings for another. It's platonic, sexual, emotional, raw. It can be felt for anything in the earth. When humans are programmed to feel love for so many things, how can it be sure that their love for one thing is special?