Chapter 32: The Wish Not Granted

~ Flashback ~
"Nnnggng~! Uugh~! Aaahhh~!" Zephania moaned in pain as she endured her illness.

"Come on Hania. You can fight it." Nami said to her as she tears up.

"Yeah, you can do it." Ussop cheered.

"Just hold on!" Luffy shouted.

Her crew motivated her to fight her illness. But there's nothing that can be done now.

It was too late. She was dying of an incurable disease. She's had it ever since she was young, then got worse as grew old. But there are no signs of the illness showing, so nobody knows what she's going through.

Even Law couldn't cure it because it was too late when they found out, it had already spread to her heart and brain.

Zoro never knew because he was always traveling, and when they finally met up he wanted to take care of her so he let her in the crew.

(A/N: Forgive me, Law, Chopper. You're both great doctors, but it's just this one time, for the story. Heheh... 😅)

"How could I have not known about this. I'm such a failure as a brother!" Zoro said to himself, feeling regretful and sad, punching the wall beside him.

"Please Hania. Make a wish, you can make a wish for yourself to be cured. Please just make a wish!" Law pleaded to her as he held her hands.

The crew gathered to her bed side as they accompany her now weak body. They never noticed her condition because she was cheerful yet a serious person. She was also great in battles. But there are just some battles that she cannot win.

Zephania slowly opened her eyes while gasping for breath.

"If I *huff* *huff* made that wish, *huff* *huff* don't you think, it's too selfish?" she said as she breathed heavily, trying her best to at least smile.

"No, I don't care. I don't want to lose you." Law begged.

"We don't want to lose you Hania." Chopper cried.

"You're our nakama!" Luffy shouted again, tears started to form in his eyes.

"*huff* *huff* Thank you, minna. *huff* *huff* But I can't do it. I think of all the possibilities, *huff* *huff* and I know this wish could save me. But it's so unfair. I don't want *huff* *huff* to have this oppurtunity, if it can't be shared with anyone, specially you guys. I'm not special. I don't deserve *huff* *huff* such a blessing. All of you are more than *huff* *huff* I could ever ask for. Thank you minna, but *huff* *huff* I don't think I'll ever be at peace, if I do this." She kept grasping for breath as it was getting difficult and harder for her to breathe.

"Uwaaaaahhh, Hania, don't go! I'm so sorry I can't cure you! I promise, I'll do better. I'll study more. Please hold on!" Chopper cried harder as he said those, knowing there's nothing he can really do for her now.

"It's not your fault, Chopper. *huff* *huff* It's not anyone's fault. I've already accepted this *huff* *huff* from the moment I knew it. So don't beat yourself up.
*COUGH!* *COUGH!* *AHHK!* "

"HANIA!" They all shouted. She started coughing up blood, and her nose started to bleed, showing her condition getting worse.

"It's alright. Just, promise you won't forget me, and that I'll always be your nakama, even when I'm gone."

The crew all nodded as they cried beside her. Even Law and Zoro.

"I can't accept this. I can't. What the hell is being a genie for if I can't even save the woman I love!" Law cried to her.

Zephania took a deep breath in order to speak more clearly. Then she stopped breathing heavily. It seemed her body calmed down a bit.

"Law, you were one of the best thing that has ever happened to me. You made me forget all my problems and even my illness. I never told you because I knew how you'd react. But I love you for that. I'm just so sorry, I'm leaving you, all of you. I really, *sniffle* really love you all." she started crying.

(A/N: Okay, I was freaking crying when I wrote these parts. I actually got sad and teared up. Okay, don't mind me. Please continue😭😭)

Then Zephania raised her hand reached out to Law's face and wiped his tears.

"Stop crying. You'll be okay." she wore a sad smile on her face, and Law cried even more.

"Hey Law?" The Law looked up to her.

"Will you still love me?" she asked him.

"I always will." He replied as he took his hand away from his face and held on to it.
She smiled genuinely. Law tried his best to smile back at her.

Her vision started to get blurry, taking it as a sign of not having much time left, so gathered her strength to face and looked at everyone saying, "Thank you"

They continued to cry, then she looked at Zoro mouthing the words
"It's okay." and tears fell even more, blaming himself for not being able to look out for her. But she never thought of it that way, she was happy she still had her brother, believing, he'll become the greatest swordsman in the world.

Lastly she looked at Law saying her final words to him with her final breath,

"I love you for infinity." before her hands fell from Law's hand, and slowly closing her eyes, never to open again.

~ End of Flashback ~

(A/N: Hello again minna. If you're wondering why the chapter title is The Wish Not Granted, it actually means Law's wish for Zephania to live, but she couldn't grant it. So that's what this title meant in case your wondering. Also, I'm sorry for the bad edit of this picture. Hehehe. Thank you for reading. Don't forget to vote/comment. See ya...)