Before-23

The gunships zoomed across the barren Geonosian landscape.

"If Dooku escapes, rally more systems to his cause he will," Master Yoda said gravely to Mace Windu and Ki-Adi Mundi, two Jedi Masters who had boarded this gunship.

The two looked down at their old, wise friend. Windu was about to open his mouth to speak when a volley of red blaster bolt whizzed past the small gunship fleet.

The group of Republic ships swerved.

"Hold on!" Obi-Wan called to Anakin and Padmé, scrambling to seize the grab handles as the droids fired at them from below.

The gunships began firing green blaster bolts down towards a group of droids on the Geonosian landscape. There were heavy misses as the area that the droids were firing from was the location of a group of large metal rockets that were standing upright. This obscured the clone pilots' and gunners' views of the droids. Obi-Wan shuddered when he imagined what those terrible explosive weapons were to be used for. He doubted it was anything good.

"Aim right above the fuel cells!" Anakin suggested, shouting to be heard over the blaster sounds. The gunner complied and let loose two homing rockets. The missiles hit the Geonosian rockets right where Anakin intended, and the metal projectiles collapsed down on top of a myriad Separatist machines, squashing battle droids and crushing spider droids.

"Good call, my young Padawan," Obi-Wan praised.

Having breached the first line of droid defenses, the gunships set down. Clones and Jedi filed out, the latter leading squadrons of the former.

Back at the arena, Nute Gunray and Lott Dod paced around Dooku's secret base, fretting, worried and scared. The large room was concealed in shadows and had dark walls. Yellow lights were the only thing illuminating the space, and red holographic figures moved in a large circular display screen set in the middle of the room. Various Geonosians and droids manned the controls and watched over the displays.

Count Dooku entered from one of the large stairways leading into the room.

"The Jedi have amassed a huge army," Gunray said nervously to his companion, Dod.

"That doesn't seem possible. How could the Jedi come up with an army so quickly?" Dooku pondered.

"We must send all available droids into battle!" Gunray declared, his large red eyes gazing at the Sith lord.

Dooku's gestured no. "There are too many."

But one of the head Geonosians had other plans. Poggle the Lesser, Archduke of Geonosia, clicked and warbled, suggesting something to the Separatist leader, banging his cane on the floor.

"Our communications have been jammed!" One of the gunship pilots called. A split second later, Windu witnessed one of their Republican troop vessels burst into flame, having been the target of droid fire.

"Pilot, land in that assembly area!" Windu ordered.

"Yes sir," the clone turned in his seat and replied.

The gunship came to a slow descent and landed steadily on the barren, featureless Geonosian soil. Multiple other ships had already set down here, and the troopers were marching out in strict formation, guns ready.

Mundi and Windu scampered out of their aircraft and were met with a line of elite-looking clone troopers.

"Sir, I have five special commando units awaiting your orders, sir," a soldier with a yellow painted trim helmet announced.

"To the forward command centre, take me," Master Yoda requested. As his gunship rose into the air, the ancient Jedi Master had a good perspective of the soon-to-be battlefield. From up there, the clone troopers looked like white ants, and the Jedi's lightsabers shone in the thick, stuffy air.

As he watched, multiple battalions were charging towards a wave of droids, but the Republicans were not deterred and ran on to meet them.

It was chaos. Droids fired again and again. Clone troopers fell here and there. Jedi blocked and ricocheted blaster bolts. Metallic shrieks filled the air as machines were cut down and fell. Explosions rang out, throwing up clouds of earthy sand that obscured both the Republicans' and Separatists' visions.

In the yellow Geonosian sky, a few gunships had not landed and were being used as firepower from above. One of those vessels was Anakin, Obi-Wan and Padmé's vehicle.

"Attack those Federation starships!" Obi-Wan shouted, pointing at his target. "Quickly!"

Two of the Republican ships, including the trio's vessel, fired rockets at large round Separatist machines. It burst into flames and exploded.

Yoda's gunship touched down onto the ground beside a makeshift Republican forward command centre, manned by a few clones.

"Master Yoda, all forward positions are advancing," the yellow helmeted clone who had spoken to Mace Windu earlier, addressed the Jedi Grandmaster from the station.

"Very good. Very good," Master Yoda nodded.

The battle, a few mere klicks away, continued.

"This is not looking good at all!" Gunray said desperately in contrast to Master Yoda's comment of the Republican's upper hand.

Dod turned to him. "We must get the starships back into space."

"We have to order a retreat..." the Neimoidians' voices slowly faded away as they walked briskly out of the secret Separatist base.

Dooku glared at the Geonosian who had offered previous advice. The creature spoke something else, clicking in its native tongue, and slammed its fist passionately on the table.

"My master will never allow the Republic to get away with this treachery," Dooku gritted his teeth and began pacing around the table.

"I'm sending my warriors to hide in the catacombs. The Jedi must not find our designs for the ultimate weapon. If they find out what we are planning to build, we're doomed," Poggle clicked.

The Geonosian walked up to Dooku, the clacking of his cane echoing loudly through the room. Poggle handed the Separatist leader a small disk.

"I will take the designs with me to Coruscant," Dooku told him and activated the disk, revealing a red hologram of a sphere shaped machine. "They will be much safer there with my master."

He exited the room and walked purposefully down a set of winding stairs and into a large spacious hangar. The far end of the hangar had no wall, and there was only a view of the Geonosian sky and ground above and below. Dooku had come just in time to see Gunray and Dod were escaping off the planet via a yellow shuttle, and scowled at their cowardice.

The Sith lord jumped aboard a speeder parked at the hangar's deck and went speeding off the edge. The speeder raced down the steep cliff on which the secret Separatist base was located. Dooku's brown and black robes fluttered in the whipping winds, but his face was resolute. Two other speeders, ridden by Separatists, followed him as guards.

Meanwhile, in the battlefield, the Trade Federation Ships were rising off from the ground and ascending into the atmosphere.

"Concentrate all your fire on the nearest starship," Master Yoda commanded a clone trooper. Beside him, the yellow armoured soldier was looking at the scene from a distance with a pair of binoculars.

"Yes sir," a soldier with red markings on his uniform nodded. "Move all quadrants to sector 5-1-5," he commanded the clones operating the command centre.

The Republican ion cannons fired on one of the Trade Federation's vessels. The ship kept rising, desperately, like it was trying to escape from a tractor beam, but nevertheless it was too damaged and fell to the ground with a rumbling explosion.