Chapter 11

Hey if you hadn't known already, I was feeling unwell today. Anyways I've recovered enough so that I could post the next chappie so yay! One more thing: I've renamed the chapters so they are now Before-1 to Before-30 and Chapter 1 to Chapter 11 so far. Anyways here ya go.

Their footsteps echoed as they sprinted determinedly through the long steel corridor. Powerful, ear-splitting, droning alarms suddenly sounded through the facility.

"Skywalker!" Aayla Secura hissed into her wristcom, followed closely by Commander Bly and a few other elite 327th ARC Troopers. "What did in the Force you do? The alarms have been triggered!"

The group veered into a hallway and came face to face with a squad of droids.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" one looked back and saw the Republicans. The rest of the squad turned.

"Quit standing there, fire!" the lead droid warbled.

Skilfully, Aayla began to deflect blaster bolts, sending them ricocheting back to the Separatists. Beside her, the troopers aimed and sent their own shots towards the droids.

"Do you have the data chip?" she grunted into her wristcom as she advanced forwards, slicing machines left and right. Within a few seconds, the squad had been reduced to a pile of metal parts lying on the ground, smoking.

"Yes Master Secura, I've got the information. Sorry about the alarm," Anakin's sheepish voice came through. "We'll meet you at the loading dock in a few minutes-"

Sounds of gunshots echoed through the wristcom and then the line went out. Aayla cursed and signalled for her soldiers to keep moving. "Got to hand it to Anakin. The Master of being un-subtle," she groaned to herself.

The two Jedi and ten each of their ARC Troopers had infiltrated a top-secret Separatist base, located in the distant reaches of the Unknown Regions. In the past few weeks, Republic hearing posts had intercepted several coded messages. No matter how hard they tried, no one was able to decipher the information.

A few days ago, however, it was discovered where the messages had been encrypted. Jedi Master Aayla Secura and Anakin Skywalker had been elected to steal the data chip that housed the secrets of the previously unknown Separatist communications. The facility they were currently in housed the chip – though a fake one. The Separatists were supposed to think that the real chip was still safe. However, little did they know, Master Plo Koon was the one who would steal the real one.

"Hio!" Aayla called to the clone nearest, who was jogging behind her. "Take Dagger, Frost, Whipper and Solo to the loading dock. Secure the ship, don't let anyone see you."

Hio grunted in reply.

"Bly, Gallet, Storm, come with me. We're going to help General Skywalker. Nova, Axle, I want you to go to the security room. Turn off camera footage and, please, shut down the alarms."

"Yes General!" All ten ARC Troopers said quietly as not to be detected.

At the next intersection, the three teams split off.

"Skywalker, we're coming to you," Aayla said into her commlink, not even knowing if he could hear her. On the digital map, located on her forearm guard, eleven flashing red dots further down the passage told her where the 501st was.

Sure enough, the sound of gunfire was soon able to be heard.

"Watch your left, Fives!" Anakin's voice sounded ahead.

Aayla turned to her troopers and performed a series of hand signals to tell them what to do. For her manoeuvre to work, they needed the element of surprise.

Swiftly and suddenly, the Twi'lek charged into the conflict, her blue lightsaber brandished.

"Master Secura," Anakin nodded and grinned as he saw the other Jedi.

"Hey you're not captured yet. You surprise me." She said to him.

Aayla only grimaced as she saw the immense numbers that they were fighting against. It was a wonder that none of the troopers were dead, and she was glad for that. However, one of Anakin's men was sprawled on the ground, half hidden behind a wall, though still alive and firing shots.

The droids numbered about fifty, all clustered in the hallway and shooting at the intruders. There was only one flaw: their backs were turned to the empty corridor behind them.

"Get back! Go around the corner!" she shouted through the din at Anakin and the troopers. The three red dots on the digital map representing Bly, Gallet and Storm were quickly nearing the Jedi.

Looking confused, Anakin shot her a quizzical look.

"Why?"

"Because I said so!"

"I know, but why?"

"Just do it and be complacent for once!"

"You know I can't," Anakin grinned but ordered his men to do what she had commanded.

Almost immediately after the group had turned the corner, the three 327th clones emerged from the previously empty corner. All the Republicans heard were the confused warbling of the droids as they were swiftly shot down by the ambushing soldiers, and then an agonising shriek of pain.

There was silence for a second.

"All clear, Generals!" came Bly's voice, shaking slightly. "But Gallet got shot pretty bad."

Aayla's heart clenched as she thought of her injured soldier. She peeked gingerly into the hallway, checking that there wasn't another squadron of droids coming towards them, and then rushed to his side. Gallet's slumped form was propped against the chrome wall. There was a huge black, sizzling hole in his stomach. Bly and Storm knelt concernedly beside their brother, all three of their helmets lying on the ground.

Aayla barely heard the others jogging towards her, because as she watched, the wound began to spread. The yellow marked armour bubbled and disintegrated and the hole in Gallet's torso grew bigger. A sickening, haunting mix of a groan and a scream erupted from the poor clone's lips. His face was sweating and grey, painted with pure agony.

Acid. A terrible, slow and painful death.

"Leave me...General," he panted, eyes shut tight with the pain. "I'm...not...gonna...make it."

"Quiet Gallet," Aayla whispered back. She turned to Bly and Storm, who were trying to find medical supplies in their backpacks.

"Are you two alright?" They both nodded, not looking up from their backpacks. "What about Tix?" she asked the injured 501st trooper, whose leg had been shot twice.

The clone winced slightly. "I'm all good General," he said bravely.

Anakin bit his lip and surveyed their small number. "We'll have you all patched up before we go to the ship. The chip," he patted a pouch hanging from his utility belt, "can wait."

Aayla looked away. She too knew that getting the chip to Coruscant, fooling the Separatists and the safety of the greater Republic meant more than the small handful of soldiers who were in front of her. But in the pit of her stomach she felt that her debt was to these men who had sacrificed so much.