Chapter 39

MERRY CHRISTMAS! HERE'S MY PRESENT TO YOU GUYS XD THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE SUPPORT, I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT IN ALMOST A YEAR I'VE REACHED 50K READS, THIS IS SO AWESOME! I'D ALSO LIKE  TO APOLOGISE FOR THE SLIGHT UM HIATUS, BUT HERE'S THE NEXT CHAPPIE. I HOPE YOU ENJOY, MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!

The attack of the droid envoys and AAT from the rooftops was met with considerable success. Steela's victory speech to all the citizens of the planet no doubtedly helped the rebels gain more followers and admiration.

Before long, though, the news had reached the imperial court and King Rash, after interrogating Dendup, had ordered the previous ruler to be executed. Hearing the news, Saw brashly decided to go and rescue the abdicated king alone, whilst the other rebels remained divided over his decision, trying to form a plan.

Steela leaned over a bench, furiously studying the screen of a datapad. The room was dark, crates were stacked against the walls and several electric control boxes were wired to the surface, suggesting the space was a back room or basement.

"Steela," Lux called out her name, his footsteps echoing as he walked in and approached her before putting a hand on her shoulder. Only when he spoke again did she turn to face him. "Saw is strong. He'll be fine," he said with an encouraging smile.

"He's always been brash," she stated with an exhale. "Never thinks. He doesn't realise, by leaving us, he's hurting us." She put the datapad aside with a weary air that would characterise the movements of a much older person who had experienced the hardships of life, rather than a young woman her age. "We need a plan."

Steela flicked on the hologram on the table, and a model of the city flashed to life.

"They bring King Dendup through the east entrance of Yolahn Square." Her brows corrugating into a frown, she raised her hand to her chin in contemplation. "Security will be tight."

Beside her, Lux's gaze travelled from the hologram to Steela, and his eyes softened, a slight smile pulling at his lips.

"And rescuing him will..." she turned to him, noticing the gentle way he was looking at her, before focusing back on the task at hand with a shake of her head. There was almost a resoluteness as she pulled away. "...will not be easy."

Steela paused. Dropping her hand she said, "Lux, please don't look at me like that."

"Forgive me. I'm sorry. I..." He looked away in shame and hurt.

"Listen," she grabbed his hand and held it in both of hers. "I just need to be alone right now. Gather everyone to go over the plan," she told him, letting go.

His gaze lingered for a few seconds longer before nodding. "Of course."

As Lux left the room, Steela picked up the data pad once more. He halted just before the doorway and looked back, before continuing out. Once he had exited, she turned to stare at the dark empty passage, and a smile crept onto her face.

Ahsoka sat silent and unmoving with her cheek resting on her hand, staring blankly into space. The narrow passageway she was in was dark and tight, and she was the only one there. Hunched atop a crate that served as a seat, she exhaled loudly.

Just a few minutes before the Togruta had finished a conversation with Anakin and Obi-Wan, briefing them about the rebel's status and plan to rescue King Dendup. She was conflicted about their choices, and of course, her feelings.