Before-29

He had fought the urge to run after Ahsoka and wait outside the Council Chamber until she had finished, so he could say goodbye to his best friend one last time. He fought it with all his willpower and somehow succeeded.

y/n found himself being called to the Council by Master Shaak Tii. At least she was a better, nicer and kinder Jedi to be with than Master Windu. The Togruta looked at him and smiled when he thought this, and he wondered if his Thought Shield had been broken through by the older, more experienced Jedi. It seemed not the case, as Master Tii didn't say anything. Perhaps she was just being empathetic.

A gulp rose in his throat. He had only been in front of the assembled Council once in his life: when they were debating whether or not he should be allowed to join the Order.

Master Plo Koon had found him when he was eight, and brought him back to Coruscant. y/n's history and age meant that not all the Jedi agreed that he should begin training as a youngling, despite the fact that he was Force-sensitive. Luckily, they eventually consented. Ahsoka and y/n became best friends, united by the Jedi who had brought them into the Order.

Even now, as his eyes passed over Master Koon, y/n felt much more at ease.

"Masters," he bowed respectfully and acknowledged the Council.

"Relax, y/n," Even Piell grunted.

"Tell me, y/n, do you think that you can become a Jedi?" Master Windu asked, leaning forward in his chair.

y/n flinched. He didn't expect this. Yes, he did prefer combat to everything else, yes, his lightsaber was half red, yes, he was trained in the Sith arts as a child, but still, the Masters asking him this question seemed like betrayal. He'd grown up on this path. He was dedicated. There was no way that he would be swayed back into the Dark Side.

"Yes, Master Windu. I do." He replied confidently. Inside he was extremely agitated at the bald Jedi; first for making Ahsoka leave before scheduled, now questioning his loyalty to the Jedi, which was obvious.

The dark-skinned man nodded and reclined back in his chair, though he did not seem completely convinced.

"If it is his fall to the Dark Side that you are worried about, Master Windu," Shaak Tii said, "then y/n should be given a compassionate Master. One who understands brushes with the Dark Side, and can help him."

"y/n is strong," Oppo Rancisis commented. "I doubt he will be tempted. However," he turned to the Togruta. "Master Tii is correct."

"Loyal to all he trusts," Master Yoda said. "A weakness, this could be."

y/n felt his face heating up, remembering how attached he was to his Wolf Clan mates.

"How to let go, he must learn," the Grandmaster finished.

"Young l/n is adventurous, passionate and reckless" Kit Fisto mused. "Fixed, these potential weaknesses could become crucial benefactors."

Saesee Tiin summarised the requirements. "Like Tano, y/n needs a Master who can mature him. But most importantly, one who can prevent him from the Dark Side."

"Aayla Secura will be a fine mentor for y/n," Zabrak Master Eeth Koth suggested thoughtfully. "She was seduced by the Dark Side early in her Padawan years. Plus, she will help young l/n to loosen his attachments to people, as she experienced the same with her master, Quinlan Vos. She is intelligent and sympathetic, a good role model and will take well to y/n's...sense of humour."

"Members of the Council, agree, do you?" Master Yoda asked, looking around the room.

"Yes."

"Yes."

"Yes."

"Yes."

"Yes."

"Yes..."

The voices of all the Masters present all rang around the room.

Aayla Secura. Former Padawan of Quinlan Vos, the Jedi who had taken the Wolf Clan to Ilum. y/n had seen her around before. She was a Twi'lek, blue skin, tall, slim, long montrals, kind face, encouraging smile, wise eyes.

Perhaps it wasn't going to be half as bad as y/n had thought.