Chapter 68

The Jedi assembled in the Council Chambers. Anakin, Obi-Wan, Plo Koon, Mace Windu, Ki-Adi Mundi, Saesee Tiin and Yoda stood in a semi-circle, facing Ahsoka.

"Ahsoka," her Master said. "I am so sorry. About everything."

She gave him a slight nod in acknowledgement.

"You have our most humble apologies, Ahsoka. The Council was wrong to accuse you," said Plo Koon.

"You have shown such great strength and resilience in your struggle to prove your innocence," Saesee Tiin continued.

"This is the true sign of a Jedi Knight," said Mundi.

"This was actually your Great Trial," Windu nodded. "Now we see that. We understand that the Force works in mysterious ways, and because of this trial, you have become a greater Jedi than you would have otherwise."

Ahsoka looked down at the Grandmaster as Yoda spoke. "Back into the Order, you may come."

"They're asking you back, Ahsoka," Anakin stated, approaching her. He took her severed Padawan braid from his pocket and held it out to her. "I'm asking you back."

There was a silence that seemed to last an eternity, as the Togruta's gaze moved between her Master's beseeching face, and the silka bead braid. Her hand hovered with indecision over Anakin's, before finally, she gently took his hand with both of hers, and bent his fingers closed.

She looked back up to his face, and a look of realisation and hurt dawned on his features.

"I'm sorry Master," she said quietly. "But I'm not coming back."

She turned and walked out of the Council Room, leaving Anakin speechless. He stood shock still for a few long moments before his body drooped. He then walked towards the door, speeding into a run as he left the room. Obi-Wan made a move to follow, but Plo Koon laid a hand on his shoulder.

Ahsoka walked, her head down, knowing that this might be the last time she would ever set foot upon the great Jedi Temple.

"Ahsoka, wait!" Anakin's voice called out as he ran after her. "Ahsoka, I need to talk to you."

She made it past the shadows of towering columns and stopped to turn back to her former Master.

He caught up and let out a sigh as she faced him.

"Why are you doing this?" he asked.

"The Council didn't trust me. So how can I trust myself?"

"What about me? I believed in you. I stood by you!"

"I know you believe in me, Anakin, and I'm grateful for that. But this isn't about you. I can't stay here any longer. Not now."

"The Jedi Order is your life, you can't just throw it away like this!" he argued. "Ahsoka, you are making a mistake."

"Maybe," she replied, crossing her arms. "But I have to sort this out on my own. Without the Council...and without you."

"I understand, more than you realise," he divulged, turning away from her. "I understand wanting to walk away from the Order."

She cast one last look at him, and gently said, "I know."

Anakin watched her walk away, her form slowly retreating as she disappeared down the steps.

Her eyes brimmed with unshed tears as she took each step away from the home she had known for her entire life, from the people she had learned to care about.