I'll wait for you

Jughead POV
"Jug, Betty the reason Fp and I were on a trip wasn't for fun or work, we were in Toledo." Betty's mother says
"Why were you there?" I say
"Uh Jug this'll be hard to hear but initially to finish of the divorce, but when we got there JellyBean let slip that your mum....... Jug she's sick, and she's not doing well."
I froze and looked down. Mums sick, what's gonna happen? I feel Betty's hand slip into my hand and she gives me a sad smile.
"Look this is hard for us all, so me and Alice have decided that me and you jug are going to go and stay in Toledo for a while. When the times right you will go to Yale, I've sorted it out with them."
A few months away from Betty, could I do this? Could we do this? I have to break it off, at least for now, I can't be away from her and always text her but be there for my mum as well.
"Dad do you think I could talk to Betty for a minute."
"Sure."
They both leave and I turn to Betty, "Betts, look long distance would be easier if my mum wasn't sick, I don't want to always be with her and not texting or calling you, and vice versa my mums sick and I need to be there for her and my sister. We're going to have to stop here, because it's all too much, I'm really sorry Betts."
"Jug, I understand and I probably would I have broke this off in your position also, you need to be there for your family. But don't think your going to stop me texting you, even if you don't answer."
I laugh a bit and give Betty a hug.

Two days later:
Betty POV:
Me and jug spent all the time we could together even if we weren't together. I told him I would text him and to only reply when he can and he said he'll try.
They're leaving today, we are all outside saying our goodbyes.
"See you in a couple of months Fp, make sure to look after your family." My mum says giving Fp a kiss.
"See you Alice, love you." I can see my mum crying and they move over to his motorcycle.
I watch as jug fixes his bag on the back of his motorcycle.
"Jug, good luck and look after JellyBean, I'm going to miss you so much." I say as I can feel tears coming out of my eyes
"Betts, you and my family and friends is what keeps me going on, I'm going to miss you so much but I want you to move on if I'm not back for a while, I want to be with you, but I want what's best for you, don't wait for me, who knows how long I'll be gone for."
"Jug just shut up," I say and kiss him, "I'll wait for you."
He gives me and hug and gets on his motorcycle and starts the engine. We start our goodbyes and watch the two ride of.

Before college

J-I miss you, going college tomorrow good luck! 🥰
B-yeah and kangs and choni got in also because mrs blossom pulled some strings.🥰
J-at least you won't be alone, I have to go jelly needs me, byeee xx
B-okay byeee xx

A few weeks later
Me and V are in the same dorm room with choni next door and kangs next to them. Archie is in a room on his own for now till jug comes but I don't even think he will. I've text him many times in the last two weeks and I've not got any answers, the last one I got was a week and a half ago which was something like:
'Ok'
'Wow'
'Cool'
'Bye'
He's been really distant so I decided tonight at the time he should be free to call him.
"Hey jug! You haven't been texting back I was worried"
"Yeah, sorry."
"Ok so I'm how are you?"
"Fine look Betty I have to go!"
"Oh um ok b-," and he cut out

A month later:
Me and jug haven't spoken in ages. He hasn't  texted anyone in the group anymore but Fp is fine with my mum. When I asked him on the phone what's up With Jug he said nothing and changed the subject. I know I said I'd wait for him but it's been a few months and he is really distant and a bit rude.
I understand seeing his mother like that may change him, but he could at least say something, he knows he can talk to me.
There's also this guy, one of our new friends, through Archie, called Will, and he's been really nice to me but has asked me out a couple of times, every time I said no and he said he'll wait for me. I felt bad because there's this genuinely nice guy who will wait for me and be there for me but I'm there for jug and he's treating me a bit how I'm treating Will.
Jug said I shouldn't wait for him and back then I didn't understand what he meant but now I guess I do.
I get up from my bed and make my way to wills room.
I knock and he opens with a big smile on his face, "Betty! What brings you here!"
"I might take you up on that offer for a date!"
"Omg yay, tomorrow, 7 I'll come to your room, and we'll go out!"
"Okay sounds great!" I give him a big smile and go back to my room.
"Did I just hear Betty Cooper get a date with Will Newman!" V says
"Maybe, he's really nice and cute and I can't keep on taking what's going on with Jug, he won't even text you and Toni and your his best friends, he's cut all ties with us and I'm not going to be like the college-widow waiting on him."
"Okay Betty but I do feel he's just having a hard time, just keep that in mind,"
She was right about that but I can't wait if nothing is happening with us.