How to Evolve Your Dragon: The Hidden Lake

Swoosh, Charizard flies across a clear sunny sky with Mitch riding on its back.  " We can make it to Cinnabar Island before dark if we hurry" an excited Mitch shouts as Charizard answers with a loud roar, " Zaaaaaaaard."  Eventually, they begin to pass over a large forested island with a large spiraling forested mountain located near the center of it. Suddenly, a Poke Ball on Mitch's belt begins to shake as the Pokémon inside it lets itself out of the ball. " Draaaaaatinnnniii" it excitedly shouts as it falls towards the island. However, it soon realizes that what it is doing is a bad idea. " Draaaaaa, Draaaaaaaaaa," it shouts in extreme fear as it plummets. 

               " Dratini! What are you doing? Hang on, we're coming," Mitch shouts as Charizard turns around and flies down in an attempt to catch the falling Dragon Type. However, when it becomes clear that Mitch and Charizard are not going to reach Dratini in time, they hear a voice shout, " Dragonite, catch that Dratini!" " Dragggooooonittttttte," a very fast moving object shouts as it quickly grabs Dratini in its arms, causing a cloud of sand and dust to obscure Mitch and Charizard's vision. The two of them avoid the dust cloud and slowly land on the beach just in time to see a very strong looking Dragonite sit a terrified looking Dratini on the ground. 

                     Mitch runs over to Dratini, bends down, pats it on the head a few times, and says " You okay Dratini?" " Dra, Dra, Dratini, Dra," it shouts as it slowly begins to calm down. Mitch stands back up and faces Dratini's rescuer, " thanks for the help, Dragonite," he says as he takes his Pokedex out of his pocket and the Dragonite cries out " Drago" in response to Mitch's thank you.  " Dragonite, the Dragon Pokémon, the Evolved Form of Dragonair and the final Evolved Form of Dratini, Dragonite is capable of circling the globe in just 16 hours. It is a kindhearted Pokémon that leads lost and foundering ships in a storm to the safety of land." Mitch puts his Pokedex away before looking down and asking Dratini a question, " Dratini, why did you jump out of your ball so suddenly like that?"

                 " I think I can answer that question" a voice shouts as a red haired man with a cape walks up to them. Mitch gets a shocked and dumbfounded look on his face upon realizing that who this person is. " You're, You're, You're Lance! You're the Dragon Type specialist of the Kanto Elite Four and the Champion of the nearby Johto Region. I've been a huge fan of you for years. Wait, is this your Dragonite. The one that has single handedly defeated entire teams on its own," Mitch shouts in astonishment as Dragonite and Lance grin at his fanboying. " Great to see that a fan of ours has landed here. Your Dratini acted the same way that Dragonite acted when we passed this island on our journey. This not only the island where it evolved into a Dragonair, but also the place where we do the majority of our training in our spare time. Coincidentally, we are actually standing in the spot where we perfected our " Spinning Claw Rush" technique" Lance says as Mitch looks on in awe. " Spinning Claw Rush, as in the technique where you having Dragonite spin around while using Dragon Rush and Dragon Claw at the same time. That and your " Hurricane Beam" technique, where you have Dragonite use Hyper Beam while the opposing Pokémon is still being assaulted by Hurricane, are my favorite finishing moves of yours!" 

          " Yes, we can talk about battle strategies later, but now I have to tell you the reason that your Dratini acted so erratically, you see that mountain," he says as he points towards the spiraling forested mountain in the center of the island. Mitch nods as Lance continues his explanation, " on the top of that mountain is a strange lake that compels Dragon Type Pokémon to come to it and after they swim in it for a few seconds, it causes them to evolve and be slightly stronger in their new form than they would normally be, but for some reason it only works once. For example, Dragonite here became a Dragonair after entering the lake, but was unable to evolve into Dragonite by going back into the lake and had to evolve normally after that. Your Dratini was compelled by the lake and now you must travel to the lake in order for it to evolve." Mitch glances done at Dratini as it nods to confirm what Lance is saying, " Okay, I guess we'll travel to the top of the mountain, so that Dratini can evolve. Doesn't seem so hard," Mitch says. Lance and Dragonite both laugh upon Mitch's statement before Lance says " I didn't say it was easy to get to the top. On the way up you will have to fight and defeat three guard Pokémon before you can reach the lake and you can only battle them with the Pokémon that is wanting to evolve, meaning you can only use Dratini. One guard Pokémon is at the entrance to the mountain, one is in the center, and one is at the top right before you reach the lake. You can't move forward until you defeat each of them. Are you up for it?" Mitch looks down at Dratini and it eagerly nods with a determined look on its face as he says " Yeah, we can handle" before returning Charizard to its Poke Ball( not only so it can rest from all the flying that it has been doing, but also to keep it from getting involved in the battles) and setting out towards the mountain with Dratini following close behind.