Mitch vs. Bruno

A melancholy looking Mitch walks out of a Pokémon Center with a refreshed looking Charizard at his side. They are still in the very large grassland and Mitch sits down at a picnic table and begins to think about all the terrible things Joe said to him. Charizard bends down and nuzzles its sad trainer as he pulls out a map. He looks at Cinnabar Island on the map and sees that if you go in the right direction, it doesn't take you long to get to Pallet Town from there. Mitch turns to Charizard and says " You know, I think Joe was right, I'm not ready to be a trainer, so I say we go home and try again in a few years,"

                   " What was that, young man," a gruff sounding voice shouts. Mitch and Charizard look up to see a large, muscular shirtless and shoeless man with spikey black hair and white pants staring at them. Mitch almost instantly recognizes the man and excitedly shouts " Wait, you're Bruno, one of the members of the Elite Four!" Bruno smiles, walks over to them, and sits down at the picnic table next to Mitch. " Yes, I am, now would you please tell what what has got you so upset that you want to give up and go home." 

................................................................................................................................................................                Mitch finishes up telling the story of what happened with Joe as Bruno nods. " I see, let's battle," Bruno shouts as he hops up from the picnic table. Mitch gets a confused look on his face and says, " but, you're an Elite Four member, I'm no match for you." " Come on, just a one on one battle and if you lose you can go home, but if you win you have to keep going," Bruno says with a smile as he holds up a Poke Ball. " Ok, I guess I accept your challenge," Mitch begrudgingly says as he gets up from the picnic table. 

................................................................................................................................................................                Mitch and Bruno stand opposite each other in a manmade battlefield behind the Pokémon Center. Mitch turns to Charizard and says " I choose you." " Zaaaaaard," it shouts as it flies forward and lands n the battlefield. Bruno eagerly grins as he throws a Poke Ball into the air while shouting " Let's go, Hitmonchan!" " Chan, Chan, Chan, Hitmonchan," it shouts as it lands in the battlefield while punching the air. Mitch pulls out his Pokedex and uses it to scan Bruno's Pokémon. " Hitmonchan, the Punching Pokémon, Hitmonchan is said to possess the spirit of a boxer who had been working toward a world championship. This Pokémon has an indomitable spirit and will never give up in the face of adversity." " Ok, Charizard attack with Fire Fang," Mitch mumbles as he puts his Pokedex away. However, before Charizard's teeth have time to become completely cloaked in fine, Bruno yells, " Use Bullet Punch." Hitmonchan's right fist quickly glows silver as it rushes forward at a near blinding speed with several silver streaks of energy flowing backwards from its body. " Hitmoooooonchaaaan," it shouts as it slams its silver fist into Charizard's chest. 

                 " Zaaaaaaaaard," an unprepared Charizard shouts as it skids backwards and its Fire Fang is stopped. " Use Flamethro," , " Use Mach Punch," shouts an interrupting Bruno. Hitmonchan does a similar thing to what it did with Bullet Punch, except this time its fist and the streaks of energy glow light blue. " Chaaaaaaaaan," it shouts as it punches Charizard in the face knocking it down on one knee. A hopeless Mitch begins to cry out, " I give u," " No, you don't, Charizard still has plenty of fighting energy left and you are not going to give up now, fight until the end." Mitch gets a slightly determined look on his face as Charizard stands back up and fires a Dragon Pulse into the sky to show that it's ready to continue. " Use Dragon Rage," Mitch shouts as " Chaaaaaaariizaaaard," it fires the big ball of purple energy with small streaks of purple lightning surrounding it at Hitmonchan. The energy ball slams into Hitmonchan and explodes, sending it skidding back a few feet. Hitmonchan looks up at Charizard and eagerly grins as Bruno shouts ," Use Throat Chop." " Hiiiiiitttmooonchaaaan," it shouts as its left fist glows with dark black energy and temporarily shapeshifts into a large five fingered hand made out of that dark black energy before it jumps forward and karate chops Charizard across the neck with it. 

             " Zaaaaard," Charizard briefly cries in pain as it rubs its neck and Mitch yells, " Use Flamethrower." " Charizaaaaaaaaaaaard," it cries as it shoots the medium sized stream of fire out of its mouth. Hitmonchan is unable to react in time as the fire slams into it and knocks it backwards. Hitmonchan lands on its back in front of Bruno, but almost immediately jumps back on its feet.  " Use Metal Claw and then Slash," Mitch commands as Charizard rushes forward and slashes Hitmonchan across the face with with its steel covered claw and then, slashes it across the chest with its white, extended claws. Hitmonchan stumbles around in pain for a couple seconds before it stops and eagerly grins at Mitch and Charizard. Charizard grins back at the Fighting Type before turning around and grinning at Mitch. Mitch excitedly grins back as he shouts " I just I should have realized that an Elite Four member's Pokémon wouldn't go down easy. Charizard, use Fire Punch."

                      Bruno smiles and says " Yes, I'm enjoying this battle too. Hitmonchan, use your Fire Punch." " Charrrrrizaaaaard," " Hitmoooonchaaaaam," the two Pokémon shout as they run forward and punch each other in the face with their fire covered fists. " Use Fire Spin," Mitch shouts as Charizard begins to spin its head around as a stream of spinning fire comes out of its mouth. " Use Detect and then attack with Thunder Punch," Bruno shouts as Hitmonchan's eyes and body glow light blue and it skillfully moves out of the way of the Fire Spin and jumps at Charizard with its electricity covered fist. " Charizard, grab Hitmonchan by the fist," Mitch shouts as Charizard uses both of its arms to grab Hitmonchan's electricity covered fist, shocking Bruno and Hitmonchan. ( However, it one were to look closely, you would see that the Thunder Punch is still causing Charizard damage, most like because of Hitmonchan's Iron Fist ability) " Charizard, this may have spelled doom for us in our last battle, but use Overheat!" "Chaaaaaarizaaaaaaaard," it shouts as its body glows bright red and it fires a very large stream of white fire with red-orange flames spiraling around it out of its mouth. Hitmonchan is forced to take the powerful attack head on, send it flying backwards. It lands at Bruno's feet, but manages to get back up as it pants. " Use Fire Punch," Mitch yells as Charizard flies forward and punches Hitmonchan in the face with its fire covered fist. Hitmonchan rubs the place where it was punched as both it and Bruno grin. " Time to use Revenge," Bruno shouts as Hitmonchan's body begins to glow with reddish purple energy. " Hitttttttmooooonchaaaaaaan," it shouts as all the energy travels to its right fist and it jumps forward and gives Charizard a powerful punch to the gut. 

                   " Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrr," it cries as it lands on its belly and tries to push itself back up off the ground, but after about a minute of trying, its body gives in and and hits the ground with spirals in its eyes. Mitch slowly walks over to his defeated Starter, bends down, and pats it on the head as he says, " It's okay, Charizard, he is an Elite Four member after all, maybe we could have defeated him if we had more training." " Zaard," it weakly lets out as it opens its eyes and weakly smiles at Mitch. " That's the spirit," Bruno happily screams as he and Hitmonchan walk over to Mitch. " What are you talking about," a confused Mitch asks as Charizard slowly gets to its feet. " Just train more! No matter what anyone says to you after you lose a battle to them, you should just keeping training and maybe one day you will be strong enough to defeat them! Kid, I'm an Elite Four member and even I lose battles, but I don't let it stop me from being a trainer, I just keep training!" Mitch and Charizard look at each other for a few seconds before turning at Bruno and Hitmonchan and smiling. " Thank you, Bruno, I won't stop traveling, even it I lose, I'll keep going until I'm a real champ," Mitch exclaims as he reaches out for a handshake. " That's the spirit, kid and maybe one day we can battle again," a smiling Bruno says as he takes Mitch's hand and shakes it and Charizard respectfully nods at Hitmonchan and it returns the nod.

Author's Note: In the original draft of this chapter, the battle was much shorter and Mitch used Seadra to fight Bruno, but I thought that it made more sense for Charizard to do it.