Level with meaning

(1.) "God, maybe I didn't pray hard enough."
(2.) "Nevermind, I guess I can't die from boredom either."
(3.) "I hate this game! I usually end up losing!"

You woke up in a darkened cell. Your eyes immediately adjusting to the dark room, you could see the scratches on the floor that dragged twords the cell door. Your stomach twisted. Your memory came back as you slumped against the wall. You remember trying millions of times to get out this cell but failing each one. Rustling came from beside you as you whipped your head around, jumping to your feet and backing away. Your back against the black, cold, cell bars and your eyes making out the figure. It was a man, you could tell by his quiet breathing and the outline of his figure in the dark. You squinted your eyes, tilting your head a bit, as you slid down the bars on the opposite side.

"Good morning. Hope you slept well." He spoke, his voice laced with a sarcastic tone.

You silently sighed in relief once you heard his voice, "The hell happened?"

He sighed and shifted in his spot. Part of his face now in the illuminated light, his brunette locks hanging low on the side of his face. His lips pulled in a straight line and his eyes burning holes in your soul. You knew how being here messed with him, and the fact that you two were sitting in a cell means that something went wrong. Very, wrong.

"We were ambushed. The scanner didn't pick up the other 10 waiting in this shit hole." He grumbled, "They took you somewhere. Separated us."

Your eyes widened, "Okay. That's not good."

You immediately started checking for anything when Bucky stood up and walked twords you. He rested his hands on the sides of your arms and pulled you in for a hug. Not so much for you but mostly for him, a reassuring hug.

"I already checked, you're okay." He mumbled, pulling back.

You sighed, "Maybe if I pray we'll be free."

He chuckled a bit, "Yeah? Well, it'd be a miracle."

You gave a small smile and checked him for any injuries. Knowing Bucky, his first priority was you. Even if he was injured, he wouldn't say anything about it and fix it himself on his own time. Didn't matter if he had the time or not, in these kinds of situations he never takes care of himself until it's too late. And with you being the light of his life, he'd be too caught up on making you comfortable to worry about himself. He gently grabbed your wrists and brought them up to his lips, kissing the inside of your palms.

"I'm fine." He whispered, you raised an eyebrow, "I promise I already fixed it, doll."

You nodded when you both heard footsteps come close to the cell. Quickly, you both pulled away and backed up, ready to jump if needed. The cell door creaked open and in stepped the worst person in the world. The person that immediately made Bucky sweat, his heart beat pick up, and made him a nervous train wreck. You gritted your teeth slightly stepping infront of Bucky, he sneakily laced his hand with yours. You pulled your arm back a bit, hiding the affectionate touch that was sure to put a sinister smirk on his old wrinkly, face.

"God, maybe I didn't pray hard enough." You quipped, "What do you want this time? Let me guess-"

"To take back my asset." Peirce answered, his hands in his pockets.

"There it is. The usual bullshit." You spat, your voice thick with venom.

"I will get him back. There's no way to stop it, L/n. You can't stop H.Y.D.R.A, you can't stop destiny from happening-" Peirce said, already boring you.

"Maybe if you keep talking I'll die from boredom and not have to hear you anymore." You cut him off, earning a snarl from him.

"You'll be next, Y/n. Our next creation, our best. Better than the Winter Soldier. No flaw, no failures, a perfect weapon." He continued.