Chapter Two.

“Right, we’ve been together and not even had a scary movie marathon yet,” George said, walking into the lounge carrying two mugs of hot chocolate topped with marshmallows and whipped cream and a bowl of popcorn on a tray as I sat on the floor, putting all the CDs on the shelves. “So that’s what we’re doing tonight.”

I looked at him with a blank look on my face and then turned back to put another handful of CDs from the box onto the shelf.

“What?” he asked, putting the tray on the coffee table in front of the sofa.

“You know I hate scary movies.”

“You know I hate cheesy romantic films but that hasn’t stopped you from forcing me to watch them,” he grinned, sitting on the sofa and tapping the space on the sofa next to him as a sign for me to sit next to him.

“No,” I said.

“Please,” he pleaded, giving his best impression of puppy eyes at me.

“Fine but if I have nightmares tonight you will stay up all night with me,” I giggled, getting up off the floor to sit next to him on the sofa.

“I’ll protect you,” he smiled, wrapping his arm around me as I snuggled into him.

I grinned up at his as I rested my head on his chest.

“Sammy.”

“What?”

“Go get the TV remote off the side,” George said to me, slapping me gently on my leg as a way of saying ‘hurry up’.

“You are seriously the worst movie buddy ever,” I sighed as I got up off the sofa and walked over to grab the remote from the shelf. “There,” I grinned, chucking it at him.

“Ugh!” he groaned as it hit him on the top of his leg.

“You were lucky that time,” I giggled as I sat back down on the sofa.

“Fine, we’re starting with The Exorcist.”

“I hate you so much,” I said as he selected The Exorcist on the TV.

“Two years Sunday,” he winked. “You can’t hate me for the long.”

“Oh, it’s just a recent occurrence,” I joked as the film began.

“Well if you hate me that much you obviously won’t want the hot chocolate in case I’ve poisoned it..” George grinned.

“I said I hated you,” I smiled. “Not that I hated your skills with the coffee machine. That’s the only positive thing to having you as a boyfriend.”

*

“That’s what I feel like after I kiss you,” I grinned at the projectile vomit scene of the movie. George looked at me and moved closer to me, kissing me over and over again all over my face. “Stop it,” I giggled as he continued to do it. “George!”

“Take it back or I’ll keep doing this until you say it.”

“No.”

“Say it.”

“Say what?”

“Say you’re sorry.”

“But I’m not.”

“Say it.”

“I’m sorry…”

“That’s better.”

“Not!” I screeched as I jumped up off the sofa and ran towards the kitchen.

George chased after me, trying to grab me. “You’ll be sorry,” he laughed as he stopped chasing me and walked into the kitchen, knowing I had nowhere to go from the kitchen.

Grabbing a glass from beside the sink, I filled it with freezing cold water and threw it over him. As I began to laugh, I noticed something and froze.

“Sammy, what is it?” he asked.

“Nemo’s dead.”

“What?” he asked looking at me in confusion as I looked into the tank where Nemo was swimming around just hours ago.

“He’s dead,” I said, watching him bop up and down upside down at the top of the tank.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes,” I whimpered. “He’s gone.”

“He had a good life,” George said to me, trying to comfort me, hiding the fact that he found it hilarious.

I could hear George chuckling quietly behind me. “George, it’s not funny.”

“I know,” he said, putting his arm around my shoulder. “I know he meant a lot to you.”

“I know he was just a fish but my granny got me him before she died.”

“It’s okay, Sammy,” he said, hugging me. “He had a good life and loved you lots.”

“Whatever,” I said, taking the lid of the aquarium tank off to scoop Nemo out. “You wouldn’t understand.”