Chapter Seventy-Nine.

“It’s like he doesn’t hear a word I say, his mind is somewhere far away and I don’t know how to get there,” I began to sing as Justin played the guitar opposite me in the recording booth.It was unreal how true the lyrics were. “It’s like all he wants is to chill out, he makes me wanna pull all my hair out like he doesn’t even care.”

“She’s serious, she’s always in a rush and interrupted like she doesn’t even care,” Justin joined in, smiling at me.

“You, me, we’re face to face but we don’t see eye to eye,” we both sang together. Justin was smiling at me but I didn’t feel like smiling back. “Like fire and rain, you can drive me insane but I can’t stay mad at you for anything, we’re Venus and Mars, we’re like different stars, you’re the harmony to every song I sing and I wouldn’t change a thing.”

“She’s always trying to save the day, just wanna let my music play,” Justin continued to sing. He’d given up trying to make me smile to instead concentrated on his vocals and playing the guitar. “She’s all or nothing but my feelings never change.”

“Why does he try to read my mind? It’s not good to psychoanalyse, that’s what all of my friends say,” I sang, closing my eyes as I tried to stop myself from breaking down.

“I try to read her mind, she tries to pick a fight to get attention, that’s what all of my friends say,” Justin sang in between my lines.

“You, me, we’re face to face but we don’t see eye to eye. Like fire and rain, you can drive me insane but I can’t stay mad at you for anything, we’re Venus and Mars, we’re like different stars, you’re the harmony to every song I sing and I wouldn’t change a thing.”

“When I’m yes, she’s no,” Justin sang, looking at me with a concerned look on his face.

Wiping a tear from my cheek, I sang my line. “When I hold on, he just lets go.”

“Cut,” Justin called as he stopped playing the guitar.

I looked at him.

“Are you okay, Sammy?” he asked, covering his microphone with his hand so the sound technicians couldn’t hear what we were saying.

I nodded, fighting back more tears.

“No, you’re not,” he said, putting his guitar down.

“I’m fine,” I said, faking a smile. “Shall we start again?”

Justin didn’t say anything; instead he shook his head and grabbed hold of my arm. “Come on,” he smiled.

Opening up the door to the recording booth, Justin looked over at the sound technicians. “We’re just gonna go get some air,” he said. “We’ll be back in five.”

I followed him out of the recording studio and down the side alley. Fans had collected around the entrance of the studio so we rushed around the back of the studio and sat on a bench in the empty smoking area that was completely out of sight of anything and anyone.

“What’s wrong?” he asked.

“Nothing,” I said, trying to smile.

“Is it to do with your boyfriend? I did my research and I know you’ve got a boyfriend and baby.”

I did nothing for a few seconds until I finally gave in and nodded.

“What’s happened?” he asked.

I looked up at him. This was unreal. My teen celebrity crush that I’d crushed on for the whole duration of my teenage years was asking me what was wrong. I could tell just by the look in his eyes that he was genuinely concerned about me.

“I don’t know,” I shrugged, looking at the floor. “It’s like he’s given up on us. For the first few months after Katy, my daughter, was born he was absolutely perfect but now it’s like he’s lost interest. He’s a great dad to her – don’t get me wrong, but it’s like he’s lost interest in me altogether.”

“He can’t have lost interest in you,” Justin smiled to me, lifting my chin up to look at him. “Having a baby is life-changing enough and when you’ve both got really demanding careers, it’s gotta be even harder and even more life-changing. It’ll be fine. Anyway, he’d be stupid to lose you.”

Smiling through the tears, I looked into Justin’s eyes. “You’re a great guy, Justin.”

“I know,” he laughed. “You’re a great girl, Sammy.”

“I try to be,” I smiled, kicking the leg of the bench gently as I swung my legs back and forth.

“Just don’t let it get to you,” Justin continued. “From what I’ve read on the internet about you two, you’re pretty much made for each other.”

“Two peas in a pod,” I smiled.

“Two peas in a pod,” he laughed.