Chapter Sixty-Four.

“Are you sure you’re ready for this?” George asked me as he walked out of the en-suite of the hospital room.

I nodded as I dressed our baby girl up in a fluffy pink babygro. “It’s time to go home,” I smiled. “She is three days old – and she needs to meet her uncles!”

“First thing I’m buying her is a monkey..”

“She is not wearing a monkey onesie,” I laughed, interrupting him.

“She’s 50% mine,” George grinned.

I picked her up and propped her up on my chest with one hand as I sorted the car seat out with the other. “When did you go through nearly seven hours of labour and nine months of pregnancy?” I winked sarcastically.

“She’s my sperm,” George laughed. “Anyway, it wasn’t even nine months of pregnancy.”

“Fine, eight months and three weeks and one day of pregnancy.”

George grinned at me as I clipped our baby into the car seat. “I’ll carry her,” he smiled.

“I know you will,” I giggled. “I’ve got to take it easy so from now on, you’re doing everything.”

“Anything for you princess,” George jokingly said, kissing my forehead as I sat on the bed.

*

Walking through the corridors of the hospital, George carried the baby’s car seat in one hand and held my hand with his free hand. As soon as we got out of the lift and walked past reception, we noticed a bunch of photographers stood outside.

“Oh great,” I groaned.

“How did they even find out about the baby being born yet?” George asked.

As soon as George finished his sentence, my phone bleeped as I switched it back on. “This might explain it..” I grinned, showing George the texts on my phone from Twitter.

Just met my gorgeous granddaughter for the first time. Congratulations to George and Sammy!x” said one tweet from Dom.

Huge congrats to George and Sammy for the birth on their daughter. Can’t wait to see what name you call her *cough* Joshina *cough* Josh x”

“Can’t wait to meet Jamie Junior #BabyUnionJ! Woop woop JJx”

“You can use the back entrance if you want,” the receptionist smiled to us.

“If I go out and get in the car and make out I’m going to yours to get some stuff, they might leave,” George suggested.

I nodded as he handed me the baby’s car seat with our baby still fast asleep like she had been for the past three days of being born. I watched George rush out through the doors and passed the photographers. They asked him questions and he responded to them. It must have done the trick though because by the time George got to our car on the other side of the road, the majority of the photographers had dispersed.

“Looks like you won’t be needing the back entrance then,” the receptionist laughed to me.

I grinned to her before walking out of the double doors of the hospital. “Welcome to the real world baby,” I smiled down to my daughter as I made my way across the road towards where George was stood by the car.

“I’ll clip her in,” George smiled, taking the car seat from me.

“Thank-you,” I grinned as I rushed around to the passenger seat and climbed in.

Once George had securely clipped the car seat into the back of the car, he got into the driver’s seat and grinned at me. “Ready?” he asked.

“Ready.”

*

Driving down the road, I looked through all the messages on my phone from various people congratulating us. I was so engrossed in replying to them all that I failed to notice George had turned off the road and down a lane surrounded by trees. I only realised when the car stopped. “George, what are we doing here?” I asked.

“You want them to meet our baby, don’t you?” he smiled.

“How..”

“I know you, Sammy,” he smiled, not letting me finish my sentence off at all. “I know you’re putting on a smile when really all you want to do is cry because you miss them.”

“We really need to be getting back home though,” I said.

“No, we don’t,” George grinned, unclipping his seat belt. “We have all the time in the world when it comes down to this. This is what matters to you, so this is what matters to me. This is what really matters – not making schedules, but this.”

I looked at him and hesitantly agreed. “Only ten minutes though,” I said. “It’s cold and I don’t want baby to be getting ill.”

“That’s fine,” George smiled, getting out of the car.

I sat in the car, looking down the path towards the gate. George got baby out of the back of the car and made his way down the path and towards the huge Iron Gate. I got out the car and rushed to catch them up as George continued to walk ahead of me. By the time I got to the gate, they had stopped to wait for me. George cradled our sleeping baby in his arms as I led him to our destination.

“I’m gonna leave you alone with her as I know what you’re like,” George smiled. “I’ll be back in five minutes though.”

“No..”

George interrupted me. “I know I don’t have to go but you need some time alone.”

I watched George walk off down the path towards the bench at the end. Looking down at my baby in my arms, I walked across the grass and sat on the bench beneath the tree.

“Sorry I’ve not been in a while,” I smiled to myself, looking at my baby’s chest move up and down as she slowly breathed. “I want you to meet your granddaughter and great-granddaughter. We haven’t named her yet but when we do, I’ll make sure I tell you both.”

I looked in front of the bench at the gravestones. “I miss you all so much, dad, granny and granddad. This would have been so much more exciting if you were both here but I know you’re going to be looking down on her and watching over her as she grows up.”

I sat for a few minutes in silence as I looked at the gravestones and then down at my baby sleeping.

“Are you okay?” George asked as he sat down on the bench and put his arm around me, pulling me closer towards him.

“Yeah,” I smiled. “We really need to name her.”

“Well we could just call her girl and when she’s older, when we want her, we’ll just say ‘come here, girl!’ and it would make it so much easier to find a name for her,” George suggested.

I looked at him. “George, she’s a baby, not a dog.”

“Or we could call her Pink Ivy.”

“George, for the millionth time, I’m not Beyoncé and you’re not Jay-Z.”

“How about..” George paused to think.

“This is only a suggestion but I’ve always loved this name,” I smiled. “Katy-May, or Katy for short.”

“Katy-May?” George asked, looking down at our unnamed baby.

“We don’t have..”

George interrupted me. “I love it.”

“Katy-May? Really?” I asked.

“I really do love it,” he grinned.

“Katy-May Shelley.”