Chapter Ninety-Five.

Looking at the clock on the wall in the dressing room backstage at the O2 Arena, I realised there was still half an hour to spare before I was due on stage. My hair was all sorted and my make-up was all finished; I’d even got changed into my outfit. Grabbing hold of my guitar from where it was stood, leaning against the wall, I decided to put everything I was feeling into a song.

As I sat on the sofa, strumming away at the strings of the guitar, I finally found a melody that sounded good. The lyrics just seemed to flow away with the melody as I sat singing along to the melody I was playing to myself. I didn’t even need to write the lyrics down as I seemed to remember them without anything wrote down – unlike other songs I’d wrote in the past.

*

Putting my guitar down on the sofa, I stood up as the ten minute warning sounded. Looking in the mirror, I smiled to myself, knowing exactly what I was going to do with my life after tonight’s concert. As I put the finishing touches to my hair, there was a knock at the door.

“Come in,” I called as I applied another coat of lip gloss.

“Hello stranger,” a familiar voice said as the door opened.

Turning around, I saw Josh, Jaymi and JJ stood in the doorway, grinning at me. “Oh my God,” I beamed as I rushed over to them and threw my arms around all three of them. “What are you guys doing here?”

“You seem so surprised that we came,” Josh laughed as he hugged me tightly.

“I am,” I smiled. “I didn’t think..”

Jaymi interrupted me as he slouched on the sofa. “Sammy,” he grinned. “Just because you and George aren’t together anymore, it doesn’t mean that we don’t love you any less. You’re still like our little sister – nothing can change that.”

“Is George..”

JJ interrupted me as he sat down on the sofa beside Jaymi. “George didn’t think it’d be right to come tonight but he wants you to know he did want to come see you,” he smiled.

I smiled to myself. “Cool,” I said casually as I checked my reflection in the mirror one last time.  “Anyway, you guys had better get going as I’m on stage in like five minutes.”

*

“I wouldn’t really do this as nobody knew I was going to do this – not even I knew, but I feel like it’s a good time to sing this,” I smiled as I grabbed onto the microphone stand and looked out onto the confused audience as all their eyes stared back at me. “I wrote a song today and I want to share it with you guys so here goes.”

Ken ran onto the stage, holding my guitar. “Are you sure this is a good idea?” he asked me as he handed my guitar to me.

I nodded as I adjusted the guitar’s strap around my neck. Ken ran back off the stage unconvinced.  As I began to strum away at the guitar strings, I noticed the lights of the arena change to a spotlight that was directly on me as I stood centre stage.

I can’t blame you for thinking that you never really knew me at all

My eyes hovered over the audience as I began to sing.

I tried to, deny you, but nothing ever made me feel so wrong

The spotlight shone so brightly at me that I could only manage to see the first few rows.

I thought I was protecting you from everything that I go through but I know that we got lost along the way

I spotted Josh, JJ, Jaymi, Olly, Elle and Chloe.