Chapter Seventy-Three.

Sat around the breakfast bar in the kitchen, I sat talking to mum and Kayla whilst George tried to teach Michael, David and Luke how to play on the xbox in the lounge.

“She’s perfect,” mum grinned, looking down as she cradled Katy.

“I know,” I smiled. “She’s an angel.”

“She definitely has George’s eyes,” Kayla grinned.

“You think?” I asked, leaning over the breakfast bar to look at her eyes. “I suppose she does. I’ve never really noticed before.”

“So how’s life being a mum then?” Kayla asked.

“Tiring,” I laughed as I yawned.

“I can’t believe my little girl has her own little girl,” mum smiled, kissing Katy’s forehead as she slept in her arms.

“Wait until your little girl’s little girl has her own little girl,” Kayla joked.

“Great-granny Jenny,” I grinned.

“Nope,” mum smiled, still looking at Katy. “That won’t happen for another thirty years at least. I’m not having her get pregnant young. She can have her first boyfriend when she’s twenty-five years old and not before.”

“I swear you said that about me,” I laughed.

“I did but you were just a rebel child,” mum grinned, looking up at me.

“But you’re glad I had her though, aren’t you?”

Mum looked at me for a moment, contemplating how she could answer. We all knew she adored Katy like crazy but we also knew that mum hated to be proved wrong. “Of course,” mum smiled.

“So you’re saying that you were wrong when you thought that I’d be too young to cope,” I grinned.

“I never said you were too young,” mum said. “I knew you’d be able to cope – I coped and you’re a hell of a lot stronger than me. I just didn’t want you to waste your childhood bringing up a child. I wanted you to live life before you made life.”

“I did both,” I smiled.

“You certainly have,” Kayla grinned, looking at Katy as mum continued to hold her close to her.

*

“Ready for this, Sammy?” Kayla asked me.

“No, Kayla. The question is are you ready for this?” I laughed, taking another sip of my drink through the curly straw.

“George, you are so lucky that you didn’t know Sammy when these two lived at home still,” Michael grinned to George as they all sat on the sofas, watching me and Kayla as we prepared to do our traditional karaoke session that we did every New Year’s Eve. “It was like living in a house with two mentalists.”

“Every New Year’s Eve, we’d have some friends over for a party get together sort of this,” mum began to explain to George. “No matter who was there or what was happening, Kayla and Sammy would be on the karaoke machine from 8pm until 8am singing every song they could think of.”

“Do you mind?” I said, turning around to mum and Michael.

“Sorry,” they both laughed.

“Where’s all my soul sisters, let me hear ya flow sisters,” Kayla sang as the music began to play.

“Hey sister, go sister, so sister, flow sister,” I continued as me and Kayla stood in the middle of the lounge. “Hey sister, go sister, so sister, flow sister.”

“He met marmalade down in old Moulin Rouge, strutting her stuff on the street,” Kayla sang. “She said hello, hey Joe, you wanna give it a go, oh, oh, oh.”

“Giuchie, giuchie, ya ya dada, giuchie, giuchie, ya ya here, mocha chocolate ya ya.”

“Creole lady marmalade,” I sang.

“Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir,” we both harmonised as Luke grabbed the spare karaoke microphone and stood in between us. “Voulez vous coucher avec moi.”

“He come through all the money in the garter bags, let him know we got that K straight out the gate,” Luke began to rap. “We independent women, some mistake us for whore, I’m saying why spend mine when I can spend yours. Disagree? Well that’s you and I’m sorry and I’m a keep playing these cats like Atari. High heeled shoes, getting love from the dudes, four badass chicks from Moulin Rouge.”

“Hey sister, so sister,” me and Kayla joined in. “Better get that dough sisters.”

“We drink wine with diamonds in the glass by the case, demeaning of the expensive taste,” Luke continued. “He wanna..”

“Giuchie, giuchie, ya ya dada, giuchie, giuchie, ya ya here, mocha chocolate ya ya.”

“Creole lady marmalade,” Luke sang with Kayla.