Chapter Twelve.

The next part will be from George’s point of view.

“I was thinking tomorrow after our families go home we could go to the cinema,” I suggested as I laid on the bed, smiling at Sammy as she walked out of the bathroom with her towel wrapped around her after her bath. “We’ve not been on a date in ages and I miss our dates.”

“Sounds good,” she said, rushing around the side of the bed. “Have you seen my charger? I really need it for tonight.”

“Try the top drawer,” I smiled.

As she opened the drawer and pulled the charger out of it, she looked at me. “Thanks,” she said, putting the charger in my bag.

I could tell just from the way she looked at me that she was stressed. I laid on the bed watching her as she hurried around the room trying to get all her things for her concert tonight together in her bag. As she grabbed a towel from the bathroom and came back into the bedroom, I noticed how pale she looked.

“I really don’t think this concert is a good idea.”

“What?” she asked as she stopped drying her hair with the towel.

“You’re four months pregnant, Sammy,” I said, sitting up to look at her. “It’s not good for you or the baby.”

“I’ve been fine with the last few concerts,” she smiled but I knew it was just a face she was putting on for my benefit – she wasn’t fooling nobody. “I’ll be fine; stop fretting.”

“I just don’t think it’s a good idea.”

“George,” she snapped. “It’ll be fine.”

“Look how stressed out you are though,” I said. “You always keep your phone charger in the top drawer of your bedside table, yet you didn’t know where it was.”

“I don’t always,” she snapped again.

“You do.”

“George, just leave it,” she said before carrying on to towel dry her hair. “It’ll fine. We’re telling our families tomorrow. After tonight I’ll think about chilling it down, but not now.”

“Whatever,” I said as I got up from the bed and walked towards the bedroom door.

I was still convinced that she was stressed but I couldn’t be bothered arguing with her. It wouldn’t do anybody any good as I knew how stubborn she was when it came down to her performances – she wouldn’t cancel for nobody.

I walked into the lounge to turn the television on as Josh would be here any minute for our lads’ night in.

“Why won’t you switch on, you piece of shit?” I could hear Sammy shouting – a prime example of how stressed she was; she never swore.

“Try plugging it in,” I said.  

I froze as I went to turn the xbox console on and waited until I heard the noise of the hairdryer. “Told you.”

“Whatever.”

*

“Right, I’m off,” I heard Sammy say as she walked into the lounge, carrying her bag.

“Okay,” I said, not even taking my eye off the television screen.

I pretended that I was playing the game but I wasn’t even paying any attention to what was going on; you could tell as my car was just bumping into every wall going.

“Don’t wait up for me,” she said.

“Okay.”

“Have fun.”

“Okay.”

“Bye Sammy,” Josh said to her, looking at me.

“I’ve got my key so you don’t have to worry about keeping the door unlocked or anything.”

“Okay.”

“Have a good time,” Josh said to her, still looking at me.

“Thanks Josh.”

Out of the corner of my eye I could see her walking over towards me. As she stood beside the sofa where I was sat, she leant over the arm to kiss me. I wanted to kiss her but at the same time I didn’t. I knew that if I kissed her she’d go to the concert thinking I was happy with her overworking when I wasn’t. “Bye,” I said, pulling away.

“You’re such a child,” she snapped before storming over to the door and slamming it behind her.

I continued to stare at the television screen even though she had left.

“What’s wrong with you two?” Josh asked, pressing pause on the game.

I threw the controller down onto the floor and looked at him. “She’s stressed and overdoing it with the concerts,” I said. “It’s not good for her or the baby.”

“She’s fine,” Josh laughed. “You’re just being over-protective.”

“I’m not,” I said. “I’m really not, Josh. I’ve never seen her this stressed.. ever. She’s not smiled or laughed properly in weeks and I’m really getting worried about her. She’s changed.”

“Its hormones,” Josh smiled.

“It’s stress.”

“Trust me,” Josh said. “She’ll be fine. Just enjoy our lads’ night in tonight and then you can carry on worrying about her tomorrow.”

“Fine,” I agreed reluctantly.

*

“That was a goal!” Josh shouted at the television screen. “What are you playing at? I scored a goal. That should count.”

“Evidently not,” I laughed at Josh’s sore loser reaction.

“That was a goal!”

As I continued to laugh at Josh, my phone suddenly started to ring – it was Simon.

“Hello?” I said, answering it immediately.

“George, it’s Simon.”

I reached over to grab the remote off the coffee table and pressed mute. “What is it?” I asked.

“It’s Sammy. She collapsed during the final set of the show tonight,” he said.

My heart sunk as soon as he said it; I knew it was bad news as soon as I saw Simon’s number pop up on my phone’s screen. “Is she okay?”

“They’ve rushed her to the hospital and she’s still unconscious,” Simon explained. “I think it’s best if you come down as she’ll want you when she wakes up.”

“Do they know what’s wrong with her?”

“Not yet, George,” he said. “But please, just come down to the hospital now.”

“I’ll be there as soon as I can.”

I put my phone down on the sofa and jumped up, grabbing my jacket off the sofa arm and putting it on in a rush.

“What’s up?” Josh asked me.

“It’s Sammy,” I said. “She’s collapsed and got rushed to hospital.”

“Is she okay?”

“They don’t know. She’s still unconscious,” I began to panic. “I knew she wasn’t okay.”

“Want me to come with you or..?”

“It’s okay,” I said, grabbing my car keys from the table beside the television that was still playing away to itself. “You can if you want but I have no idea what’s going on so there’s really no point yet.”

“George,” Josh said as I went to open the door to the stairs. “It’s not your fault.”