Chapter Fifty-Nine.

Laid in the bath, surrounded by bubbles, I was so relaxed that a nuclear bomb could go off and it wouldn’t bother me one bit. Candles flickered all around the bathroom as I tried not to fall asleep. Resting my hands on my bump, I softly rubbed it in a circular motion, knowing it would probably send my baby to sleep - and if it didn’t send the baby to sleep it would for sure send me to sleep. As soon as my eyes shut, I felt the baby kick. “You honestly don’t want mummy to sleep, do you?” I grinned to myself as I patted my bump.

Getting out of the bath, I wrapped a towel around me as the bath emptied. Blowing the candles out, I sighed and walked into the bedroom, still feeling the baby kick. “What?” George asked me, looking confused as I held my hand out to him.

“Give me your hand,” I smiled.

He gave me his hand and I placed it on my bump. “My boy’s gonna be a footballer.”

I gave him a look. “My girl is gonna be a dancer,” I grinned.

“What happens if one of them freak stories happen to us and it’s twins but the scans only showed one baby because the other one is a demon baby?” George asked.

I looked at him in disbelief. “You need to stop watching so many horror films,” I laughed as I felt the baby kick again. “Even baby agrees with me.”

“Either way,” he smiled. “Either way I’ll still love demon baby.”

“George,” I giggled. “This baby isn’t a demon.”

“Okay,” he said. “But if I’m right and the baby tries to..”

I stopped him before he made himself look insane any more than he already had. “Just stop.”

*

“Wine?” Chloe joked to me as she opened a bottle of wine and poured some into her glass.

“Oh, you’re so funny,” I said, sipping on my glass of milk through a straw.

“One month today,” she grinned to me.

“Yeah,” I smiled.

“One month today until this stops and you’ll be dedicating your life to changing nappies and doing the school run,” she laughed.

“Yeah,” I smiled, cradling my bump as I sat on the floor.

“What’s up?” she asked, putting her glass of wine down on the coffee table and looking at me in concern.

“Nothing,” I grinned.

“There is,” she said. “I’ve known you for nearly twenty years. Tell me, Sammy.”

I looked at her as I continued to stroke my bump. “What if I’m not ready?”

“No,” she said, sitting down on the floor next to me and putting her arm around me. “This is only anxiety – it’s natural.”

“But what if?” I asked. “What if I’m not good enough to be a mum?”

“Sammy,” she said. “Listen to me, okay? Out of everyone I know, you’re the one made to be a mum. You’re just worried, which shows you care a hell of a lot about this baby. You’re going to be an amazing mum and George is going to be an amazing dad. I can’t say it will be easy because it won’t, but you’ll be amazing parents.”