Chapter Ninety.

Stood in the middle of the rehearsal studio, I looked at my reflection in the mirror that took up the whole of one side of the studio. Even though I had a smile on my face, it didn’t hide the fact that I was heartbroken. I took a deep breath as the door opened.

“You’re early,” Justin grinned to me.

“I thought I’d come and practice a bit before everyone got here,” I smiled. “How come you’re here so early?”

“Looks like we had the same idea,” he laughed, placing his water bottle down on the temporary stage that had been constructed for rehearsals.

I smiled at him as I walked over to the front of the stage. Holding out his hand for me to take, Justin smiled down at me. I took hold of his hand and he pulled me onto the stage. Tying my jacket around my waist, I took another deep breath.

“You can go first if you want,” he smiled to me as he sat down on the raised platform of the stage behind me.

I didn’t want to but I reluctantly nodded. Plugging my phone into the stereo system, I began to play the music. As the song’s intro began to play, I grabbed the microphone off the table and walked over to the centre of the stage, arriving just in time to sing the first line of the song.

“The day I first met you, you told me that you’d never fall in love,” I sang, looking at my reflection in the mirror. “But now that I get you I have no fear it’s what it really was.”

I could see in the mirror that Justin was watching me rehearse, smiling back at me as I glanced at him. “Now here we are, so close yet so far, how did I pass the test? When will you realise baby I’m not like the rest. Don’t wanna break your heart wanna give your heart a break, I know you’re scared it’s wrong like you might make a mistake.”

“Stop,” Justin said as he stood up and rushed over to the stereo, turning the music off.

“What?” I asked, expecting him to tell me I was doing something wrong.

“I hate seeing you like this, Sammy,” he said to me. “I want you to sit over there and just listen to this.”

I looked at him in confusion but reluctantly agreed. I quickly walked down the steps and sat down with my back against the mirror wall, watching Justin as he grabbed his guitar from the side of the rehearsal stage and stood in the middle, looking back down at me.

As he began to strum at the guitar strings, he smiled at me, harmonising before he began to sing.

“Across the ocean, across the sea, starting to forget the way you look at me now. Over the mountains, across the sky, need to see your face; I need to look in your eyes. Through the storm and through the clouds, bumps in the road and upside down, I know its hard babe to sleep at night, don’t you worry ‘cos everything is going to be alright-ight, be alright-ight,” Justin sang as he softly played the chords on his guitar. “Through the sorrow and the fights, don’t you worry ‘cos everything is going to be alright-ight, be alright-ight.”

I sat on the other side of the rehearsal studio, watching him as he alternated his look from the guitar to me – the whole time with a huge smile on his face.

“All alone in my room, waiting for your phone call to come soon, and for you, I would walk a thousand miles to be in your arms holding my heart,” he sang, looking at his guitar.

Just with listening to his beautiful voice singing the lyrics, it reassured me.

“Oh I, oh I, I love you and everything’s going to be alright-ight, be alright-ight.”

Looking up at me, he continued to sing, smiling directly into my eyes. “Through the long nights and the bright lights, don’t you worry ‘cos everything is going to be alright-ight, be alright-ight. You know that I care for you, I’ll always be there for you, promise I’ll just stay right here, yeah. I know that you want me too. Baby we can make it through anything ‘cos everything’s gonna be alright-ight, be alright-ight.”

“Through the sorrow and the fights, don’t you worry,” he smiled at me as he stopped strumming the guitar strings. “Everything’s gonna be alright.”

I sat in silence for a few moments as Justin put his guitar down on the side of the stage. “That was beautiful,” I smiled.

“Thanks,” he laughed, awkwardly ruffling his hand through his hair as he walked over towards me.

Standing in front of me, Justin held his hand out for me to take and helped me up. Walking over to the stage, I cricked my neck as I got ready to rehearse.