Chapter Seventy-Five.

“Are you sure she’s gonna be okay at a concert?” I asked mum as we sat in mum’s kitchen, watching Katy as she slept in her pushchair. “She is only three months old.”

“She’ll be fine,” mum smiled, handing me a pair of pink fluffy ear muffs with bunnies on them.

“I might be nicking these,” I joked.

“They are quite a fashion statement, aren’t they?” mum laughed, taking them back off me and placing them on my head, making sure she didn’t mess up the curls in my hair.

“Am I rocking it?” I grinned, pulling a pouting pose at her.

“Definitely honey,” mum laughed along with me.

After a few moments, mum stopped laughing with a sigh and smiled at me. Her smile began to creep me out as she continued to look at me.

“What?” I laughed awkwardly, taking the ear muffs off my head and running my hand through my hair to separate the curls so they fell loosely onto my shoulder.

“I’ve never seen you so happy,” mum smiled. “I’m so glad you’ve found George. Your dad would be so proud of both you and of Katy.”

I smiled. “I know,” I nodded, looking back at Katy, admiring her perfect little face. “I just wish he could have met her.”

“Sweetheart,” mum sighed with the sympathetic sigh she always did whenever I mentioned missing dad. “He’s gonna be watching down on you and Katy and making sure you’re both safe and happy.”

“Mum,” I paused cautiously as I lifted Katy out of her pushchair and cradled her close to my body as she continued to sleep peacefully.

“Yeah,” she smiled, rearranging Katy’s blanket in her pushchair.

“Do you miss dad?” I asked.

Mum looked at me and hesitantly paused. I knew by the way she was looking at me that she was thinking of what to say to me in response to my question. She had never really spoken to me properly about my dad at all –not even after he died. We never really talked about him anymore. I suppose it didn’t feel right though with her being married to Michael now.

“Of course I do,” she smiled. “I think about him every day and I love him still – I always will. He was, well, he’s your father and he gave me the best thing in my whole entire life.. you.”

I smiled, listening to every word she said contently.

“Anyway, hadn’t you better get going?” mum asked, looking up at the clock on the kitchen wall.

I reluctantly nodded. I wasn’t ready to take Katy to her first concert yet but I had agreed to take her to the Union J concert at Wembley Arena and couldn’t back down now.

Placing Katy into her pushchair, I smiled at her as she slowly began to wake up.

“We’ll see you soon, mum,” I smiled as I gave her a quick goodbye hug.

“Good,” she grinned, blowing a kiss at Katy.

*

“You got that smile that only heaven can make,” Josh began to sing as George played on the guitar. “I pray to God every day that you keep that smile.”

“You are my dream,” JJ joined in, smiling at the audience. “There’s not a thing I won’t do, I’d give my life up for you ‘cos you are my dream.”

“And baby, everything that I have is yours. You will never go cold or hungry. I’ll be there when you’re insecure – let you know that you’re always lovely. Girl ‘cos you are the only thing that I got right now,” they all sang, sounding so beautiful as their voices joined together.

“Are you okay?” Chloe laughed at me as she turned to see me tearing up.

“Hormones,” I awkwardly laughed, turning back to look at the stage.

“One day when the sky is falling, I’ll be standing right next to you, right next to you,” they all continued to sing.

“Nothing will ever come between us ‘cos I’ll be standing right next to you, right next to you,” Jaymi belted out, making the whole arena scream.

“If you had my child, you would make my life complete,” George grinned in my direction as he continued to strum away at his guitar. “Just to have your eyes on a little me.”

“That’d be mine forever,” Josh sang, propping his arm on George’s shoulder as they grinned at each other.

“And baby, everything that I have is yours. You will never go cold or hungry. I’ll be there when you’re insecure – let you know that you’re always lovely. Girl ‘cos you are the only thing that I got right now.”

“One day when the sky is falling, I’ll be standing right next to you, right next to you,” they all continued to sing together, grinning like crazy at each other. “Nothing will ever come between us, ‘cos I’ll be standing right next to you, right next to you.”

As the boys continued singing on stage, I looked down at Katy as she sat in her pushchair, grinning away up at her daddy and uncles on stage. I couldn’t help but smile as my heart melted. Nothing had ever made me this happy – everything was perfect, yet somehow it wasn’t enough.