Chapter Eighty-One.

“Well, that’s a wrap,” the producer smiled to me through the glass as I stood in the recording booth after just finishing the final take of my solo parts for my single with Justin.

I sighed a huge sigh of relief as I looked through the glass to see Justin smiling back at me with his thumbs up. After placing the studio headphones around the microphone stand, I exited the recording booth.

“You did great,” Justin grinned to me as I grabbed my coat from the sofa and went over to where him and the producer were beginning to work on the track by editing it. “This single is gonna be really good.”

“I really hope so,” I smiled, putting my hand on his shoulder as I looked at the computer screen, watching them edit the track.

“It’s sounding really good at the moment,” the producer said as he moved a few things on the screen.

“Good,” I smiled. “Anyway, I’d better be going,”

“That’s fine,” the producer smiled. “You can both go and I’ll finish up here.”

“Come on,” Justin said as he stood up and grabbed his jacket from the sofa. “I’ll walk you to your car.”

After thanking the producer, we walked out of the studio and down the corridor towards the reception to sign out.

“So what’s George got planned for you two tonight?” Justin asked as we walked through the empty corridor.

“What?”

“It’s Valentine’s Day..” Justin laughed.

“Oh, crap,” I said.

I’d been too tied up with the single to even realise that it was Valentines’ Day. I hadn’t even got him a present or card or anything.

“Looks like someone’s in trouble,” Justin joked as we got to reception and signed out.

“I’ll think of something,” I lied – I had no idea what I was going to do.

We walked out of the building and towards where my car was parked next to where Justin’s driver was waiting for him. “I’ll text you later,” Justin smiled as he opened the door of my car for me to get in.

“If I don’t reply it’s probably because I’ve been murdered by George,” I laughed awkwardly.

“He won’t murder you, Sammy,” he grinned as he shut the door once I had got in.

“Bye,” I smiled to him as I put the window down.

“Good luck,” Justin called to me as I began to reverse the car back.

*

For the whole drive back home, I was frantically trying to think of what I could get him or even say to him. By the time I arrived at the apartment I had failed in thinking of anything. Quickly locking the car up, I ran across the car park and into the entrance to our apartment block. As soon as I reached the bottom of the stairs, my pace changed to a slow and hesitant walk as I made my way up the stairs to our apartment.

Putting the key into the door’s lock, I realised it was already unlocked. I pushed the door open and walked into the apartment. To my surprise, I found the apartment in complete darkness apart from the candles that lined a path from the hallway to the lounge. As the candles’ flames flickered, I walked slowly down the pathway to the lounge. Rose petals were scattered along the floor in the lounge all around the table in the middle of the room where the coffee table used to be. The table was set up with two place settings with a rose in the middle. The whole room was flooded with the light from flickering candles all around the room. I couldn’t believe it as I looked around the room in amazement.

Suddenly a pair of hands covered my eyes and I felt a warm breath on the back of my neck.

“Surprise,” George whispered as he took his hands from my eyes.

I turned around and grinned as I saw him smiling right back at me. I felt so guilty as he led me into the lounge and sat me down on a chair at the table.

“Josh is babysitting Katy for the night with Chloe’s help so we’ve got the whole night to ourselves,” he beamed as he poured a glass of wine.

“You did this all?” I asked.

“Yeah,” he smiled.

“George..”

He interrupted me before I had chance to confess that I’d forgotten what day it was. “Shh,” he grinned.