Chapter Fourteen.

Gradually opening my eyes, I didn’t know where the hell I was. The frequent bleeping of machines around me soon informed me where I was – an empty hospital room. Then it all came back to me. The last thing I clearly remember was collapsing after my gig in agony. Carefully shuffling myself out of bed, I attempted to climb out to go find someone.

“You’re awake then,” a voice said, coming from towards the door.

I turned around to see George stood in the doorway holding onto a cup of coffee. His eyes were blood-shot, red and puffy, as if he had been crying.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, stumbling over towards him.

Taking hold of my hand, George led me to sit down on the hospital bed that I had just woken up on.

“Come on George,” I said. “What’s going on? You’re really scaring me now.”

“We lost the baby.”

“What? How?” I asked. “We can’t have.”

“You miscarried.”

As soon as he said those two words, my heart dropped into my stomach and I could tell just by the look in his eyes that he was heartbroken too. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be silly,” he said, faking a smile. “It’s not your fault.”

“It is. I know how much this baby meant to you.”

“If it was a boy, I would have taught him football, how to ride a bike and we could have had xbox championships,” George smiled as he looked down at the floor. “And when he grew up I’d teach him how to treat a girl right.”

“Football?” I laughed. “You can’t even play football on FIFA, never mind an actual game of football.”

“Shut up,” he grinned, kicking my leg. “And if it was a girl, I would let her do my hair.”

“Your hair?” I asked. “Wow, you never let anybody touch your hair.”

George smiled at me.

“You don’t have to pretend that you’re okay, George, because I know you’re not.”

“I know,” he said. “You’re right. But I can cope with losing the baby – it’s hard but I’ll cope. The thing I wouldn’t have been able to cope with is losing you. Sammy, if I’d have lost you, I don’t know what I would have done.”

“One day, you’re gonna make an amazing father,” I smiled.

George wrapped his arm around my shoulder and pulled me down onto the bed to cuddle with him. “And you know what, Samantha Leona Jones,” he whispered. “I can wait for that one day with you.”