Chapter Sixty-One.

This part will be from George’s point of view.

“Sammy,” I said as I sat on her bed, watching her as she sat at her dressing table, putting on make-up. “Are you scared?”

“Scared?” she asked as she turned around to look at me. “I’m terrified.”

I laughed nervously as I smiled at her. “That makes two of us.”

“But it’ll be fine,” she smiled to me.

I don’t know how she could be so strong about the whole thing. I was worrying like crazy over everything. Everything was going to change in a matter of weeks and I had no idea how we’d cope with any of it. She was remaining so calm yet I was freaking out. I had no idea how to look after myself properly, let alone a baby who would actually depend on me 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year.

“Sammy.”

“What?” she grinned, putting the make-up brush down on the side of the dressing table and turning back around to look at me.

“It doesn’t matter,” I smiled.

“Tell me.”

“I’ve forgotten.”

“Okay,” she said, unconvinced.

As I sat looking at her, smiling from ear to ear, the bedroom door opened.

“Are you two ready?” Jenny asked as she poked her head around the door.

“Two?” Sammy asked. “I think there are three of us in here.”

“You know what I meant,” Jenny said, rolling her eyes as she walked across the hallway and down the stairs.

“Come on,” Sammy grinned as she grabbed hold of my hand and pulled me up to stand in front of her.

I couldn’t help but look at her in amazement. We had ten days until her due date and this was the calmest I had ever seen her.

Walking down the stairs, Sammy held onto my hand and led me out the front door. I helped Sammy into the car and then got in next to her. For the whole duration of the car journey, I had hold of Sammy’s hand as she rested her head on my shoulder.

*

After helping Sammy out of the car, I looked around and had my breath stolen by the view in front of me.

“I always used to come here as a kid,” Sammy beamed to me as she took hold of my hand and led me across the empty field, towards the cliff edge.

“Be careful,” Jenny called after us.

“We will,” Sammy shouted back.

We walked closer and closer towards the edge of the cliff. With each step Sammy took, I became more concerned as to how close we were getting. “Sammy..”

“It’s okay,” she smiled, interrupting me before I even had chance to finish my sentence. “I know my way around here. I could probably do this blind-folded.”

“I’d rather you didn’t,” I laughed awkwardly, watching her cautiously as she got right to the cliff edge.

“Close your eyes,” she smiled as we stopped.

“What?”

“Do you trust me?” she asked.

“Of course but..”

“Do it.”

Reluctantly, I closed my eyes and she began to slowly lead me closer and closer to the cliff edge.