Chapter Thirteen.

This part is also from George’s point of view.

“Come on, Sammy,” I said, clutching hold of her hand as she laid in the hospital bed silently. “Wake up please.”

I was sat all alone in the hospital room with her. “Please wake up. I love you.”

Talking to her felt so useless - she probably couldn’t even hear me. The machines surrounding the bed kept bleeping but there was no sign of any life in Sammy, apart from her chest moving up and down with every breath of oxygen the tube down her throat gave her.

“Please just wake up,” I said. “I really don’t want to lose you or the baby.”

There was still no sign of her waking up. I looked up at the clock above the window – it was 3am; she had been unconscious for nearly five hours.

“I was thinking on the way here about the future,” I smiled, holding onto her hand even tighter than before in an attempt to wake her up. “You know, about what kind of house we’ll buy and what schools we can send our kids to and what degrees our kids will study as they’re gonna be brainy with your DNA.”

“I was also thinking that we should have at least five kids because then we can recreate the Jackson Five – or Shelley Five.. well, that all depends on if you want to take my name when we get married.”

“Am I getting too ahead of myself here?” I laughed awkwardly.

“It’s probably a good job that you’re not awake right now as you’d tell me to shut up being all sloppy or tell me to man up.”

I looked closer at Sammy but there was still no sign of her waking up all.

“Come on, please.”

As I sat watching her chest move up and down, I heard the door open.

“George?” a voice asked.

I looked up and saw the doctor standing in the doorway holding a clipboard. “Yeah.”

“I don’t know if you remember me. My name is Doctor Carter,” he said, holding his hand out for me to shake as he walked into the room, shutting the door behind me. “I’m Sammy’s doctor.”

“Hi,” I said, shaking his hand.

 “I advise you to take a seat, George.”

I knew there are then what he was about to tell me.

Sitting down on the seat beside Sammy’s bed, I looked at her as she slept – completely unaware of everything that had gone on.

“I’m really sorry to tell you this but Sammy lost the baby.”

My heart dropped into my stomach as I listened to those words. I looked back to Sammy as I teared up. There was only one question on my mind. “Why?”

“It was nobody’s fault, George,” he explained as I stared at the floor blankly. “It was one of them things that nobody could prevent.”

“I know we’re young,” I said, still staring at the floor. “But we’d have been amazing parents.”

“George,” Doctor Carter said, trying to sympathise with me. “I know this is devastating, but please don’t blame Sammy – it’s not her fault.”

I looked back over to Sammy. She looked so peaceful as she slept; completely unaware of what had been going on. I knew she wasn’t totally set on the idea of being parents yet, but I knew she’d never wish for this to happen.

“If you want me to come back later on when Sammy wakes up to explain it, I will.”

Continuing to look at Sammy, I shook my head. “It’s okay,” I said. “I know her better than anyone else.”

Doctor Carter looked at me with a compassionate expression on his face. “Please be gentle with telling her,” he smiled. “Losing a baby is hard for anyone.”