Chapter Fifty-One.

“Are you sure you don’t mind?” mum asked me as she handed me the bag with all of Jack’s stuff in it.

I nodded. “Go,” I grinned. “Have an amazing time in Paris – you both deserve a break. We’ll be fine.”

“Are you positive?” mum asked, beginning to go into her panicking mother mode. “We don’t mind waiting until the baby’s born or even asking Kayla if she’ll mind Jack.”

“Mum,” I laughed, pushing her back into the hallway and out the front door. “We’ll be fine.”

Jack pulled at my hand, signalling that he wanted me to lift him up. Lifting him up and propping him up on my hip, being careful that it didn’t affect my bump, he began to wave at mum. “Bye!” he beamed, trying to close the door on her.

“See,” I giggled, stopping Jack from shutting the door on her. “We’ll have fun, won’t we, Jack?”

He nodded, still waving at mum as she stood in the hallway.

“Well we’ll come collect him as soon as our train gets in on Monday,” mum smiled.

“Whatever,” I said, knowing she never meant anything when she said she’d do something ‘as soon as’.

“Right,” mum said, putting her hands on Jack’s cheeks and pushing them together as he giggled. “You behave for your big sister and don’t cause her or that baby of hers any trouble, okay?”

“Okay,” Jack said, still giggling to himself.

“And you,” mum said, wrapping her arms around me. “Make sure you take it easy this weekend as you’ve got a baby to think about now.”

“I know,” I groaned. “I’ve got George telling me what to do and what not to do. I don’t need you to do it as well.”

“It’s only because we care,” she laughed, kissing me on my forehead. “Right, I’ll love you and leave you.”

“Bye,” Jack said, grabbing hold of the door as he hung over my arms and slammed the door shut, missing mum by millimetres.

“Love you,” mum shouted as she laughed from outside the door.

“Jack,” I laughed.

“She’s annoying,” Jack shrugged to me.

“You’re only two years old and you’ve already got some attitude,” I grinned.

“Sammy,” Jack paused. “When’s George back?”

“George is out today but he’ll be back before bedtime,” I smiled. “That means we’ve got a whole day of doing whatever we want. How does that sound?”

“I miss George,” he said.

“He’ll be back later,” I sighed, carrying Jack into the lounge – realising I was evidently the least favourite one.

*

Sat with Jack in between my legs, we coloured in a drawing of Nemo and Dory as we finished watching the end of Finding Nemo in the lounge. I was trying to colour in perfectly, keeping in the lines and everything, whereas Jack had different ideas of rubbing the crayons all over the paper. Two-year olds have no sense of creativeness.

“P. Sherman,” Jack said, hitting me on my leg to cue me to finish off the next line.

“42 Wallaby Way,” I laughed.

“Sydney.”

“Jack,” I said. “What does Dory do?”

Jack stood up, nearly headbutting my chin as he did. Clambering over my legs, he rushed around to the opposite side of the coffee table in front of the television screen. “Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swim, swim, swim,” he grinned, flapping his arms as he ran around in circles.

“Oh, I wonder what movie you’ve been watching,” a voice said from the door behind us as the closing titles of the movie began to appear on screen and as Jack continued to run around in circles.

I turned around to see George stood in the doorway, grinning at me.

“He made me,” I lied.

“George!” Jack screeched, running up to him and leaping into his arms, giving him the world’s biggest hug ever.

George lifted Jack up and wrapped his arms around him, giving him an even bigger hug. It was enough to melt anybody’s heart.

“He’s been asking for you for the last..” I paused and looked at the clock on the wall. “Five hours and seventeen minutes.”

“Can’t blame him for having a favourite, can we?” George winked at me.

I got up with the help of the sofa and began to walk out of the lounge, passing George in the doorway as he continued to hug Jack. “No, we can’t,” I smiled.

“Anyway..” George said, grabbing hold of my hand as I walked down the hallway towards the kitchen. “I missed you today.”

“Sammy,” Jack said as George looked at me stood in the hallway, looking back at him.

“What?” I smiled.

“How is your baby being made?” he asked, looking at me along with George.

“You’re two years old. Mum will tell you when you’re older,” I laughed awkwardly before walking into the kitchen.

*

We sat watching Finding Nemo again on the sofa: Jack snuggling up to his huge teddy at the end of the sofa while me and George snuggled up to each other. “Just keep swimming,” George whispered to me. “Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, just keep swimming.”

“I’m so tired,” I yawned, closing my eyes as I rested my head on his chest.

“It’s a hard life watching movies all day,” George joked as he stroked my hair which made me even sleepier.

“Your heart beat is so relaxing,” I murmured as I began to drift off to sleep.

“Come on,” George laughed, pushing me up so I was sat up, fully waking me up.

I rolled my eyes as I got up off the sofa and walked over to where Jack was laid, softly snoring. “Bed time,” I smiled as he stirred from his sleep to look at me with one of them sleepy baby looks.

Wrapping his arms around my neck, Jack went back to sleep as I carried him into the spare bedroom. Placing him in the middle of the bed, I sat down beside him on the bed and looked at him as he continued to sleep, clutching onto his teddy that George had carried in and given to him as he fell back asleep.

“I can’t wait,” George smiled, putting his arm on my shoulder as I continued to watch my baby brother sleeping.

I looked up at him with a huge grin painted across my face.