Chapter Seventy-Six.

“Listen to that,” George grinned as he fell back onto the bed next to where I was lying. “She’s asleep.”

“I know,” I sighed, slowly closing my eyes as I fell back asleep.

“Hey,” George laughed as he shook me gently to wake me up. “I wanna talk to you.”

Opening my eyes, I sat up in bed. “What?” I smiled as I tried to wake myself up properly.

“You know I love you, don’t you?”

I nodded. “Yeah,” I smiled. “Why?”

“I just feel like we should make it official and I know you were pretty gutted when we decided to call off the engagement after that whole thing with Rio..” George stopped himself as he noticed I was getting uncomfortable even listening to the mention of her name. “Anyway, I’ve been thinking we should get re-engaged, if that’s even a word.”

“If this is your idea of a proposal, it’s not every romantic, is it?” I laughed.

“That’s the thing,” George grinned, moving closer to me. “I don’t wanna do it just yet as I want it to be a surprise and I want it to be even better than last time.”

“What time? The haribo ring at Ground Zero or the actual ring at the Christmas tree near the Rockefeller centre?” I joked.

“Yeah,” he laughed. “We’ve been pretty doomed with the proposals.”

“They were both amazing though,” I smiled.

“But I promise, Sammy,” he paused. “I promise this is gonna be the one.”

“Okay,” I nodded.

“I promise.”

“I know,” I grinned.

As George leaned in closer towards me to kiss my cheek, Katy began screaming. “I’ll go get her,” I smiled, getting out of bed.

“I promise,” he said again as he grabbed hold of my hand as I began to walk across the room to the door.

“I know,” I smiled, looking back at George in the bed.

*

“Morning noisy,” I beamed at Katy as she laid in her cot, screaming her little lungs out.

Lifting her up, I propped her up on my chest and swayed her from side to side to attempt to stop her from crying anymore.

“Hey,” I cooed as I continued to softly sway her in my arms. “Mummy’s here.”

After carrying her into the lounge, I sat down on the sofa, still holding her close to my body in my arms. George sat on the chair, watching me in my failing attempt at quietening Katy down.

“Why won’t she stop crying?” I asked George, trying everything I could to make her quieten down but everything that usually worked wasn’t working.

“Pass her here,” George laughed, sitting down beside me on the sofa and holding his arms out for me to pass Katy to him.

Passing her over, she instantly began to stop screaming as he grabbed hold of her. “Oh great,” I said. “Nine months of carrying her around inside me and hours of agonising labour but no, she’s definitely a daddy’s girl.”

“Shh,” George laughed, kissing my cheek as I sat in disappointment, watching him cradle his calm daughter. “She loves her mummy loads; she’s just a moody baby right now.”

Unconvinced, I stood up and began to walk out of the lounge.

“Hey,” George said, grabbing hold of my hand with his free hand to stop me going any further into the hallway. “Where do you think you’re going? I thought we could have a lazy movie day together – just the three of us.”

“I’ve got a meeting with Lisa in a bit,” I smiled a half-hearted smile. “I’ll be back at three and we can do a movie night if you want?”

“Oh, okay,” he smiled, rocking Katy back and forth. “Have a fun meeting.”