Chapter Twenty-One.

“It feels so weird to be back here,” I laughed as I dragged my suitcase down the corridor of the X Factor studios.

“Where is she?” a voice coming from behind Lisa, Simon and Ken said as they walked behind me towards the dressing rooms for guest performers. “Where is she?”

Before I knew what was going on, two arms appeared around my shoulders, hugging me tight.

“There’s my little cupcake.”

“Tulisa!” I grinned, hugging her back as she clung onto me.

“This,” Tulisa said, pointing to three girls who were stood behind her. “This is what I want you girls to aspire to be like.” They were evidently her contestants for this year.

I blushed. “Aspire to be like Tulisa,” I smiled. “You’ll learn from the best.”

Simon and Ken took my suitcase into the room where I’d be told to go as I stood with Lisa and Tulisa. “Tulisa, this is my manager – Lisa,” I grinned, introducing them both.

“The mastermind behind my little cupcake? Lovely to meet you,” Tulisa smiled, shaking Lisa’s hand.

“Likewise,” Lisa said. “Sammy, I’m going to help set everything up and make sure it’s all okay.”

“Okay,” I smiled as Lisa walked down the corridor towards the stage.

“So how have you been?” Tulisa asked as her contestants dispersed down the corridor.

“Great,” I smiled.

“Sammy,” she said, looking at me unconvinced. “I know you and George broke up.”

“It’s okay,” I lied.

“It’s not,” she said. “Is it?”

I looked at her and then at the floor, trying to work out how I could avoid talking about him. “We’re just friends now.”

“Stop lying to me. I’ve spoken to him and he said you’ve not seen each other in months. What’s going on between you two?” she asked, looking concerned.

“Nothing,” I lied again.

“Well you need to sort it out because you’re both performing tonight.”

“What?!” I asked, realising what she had just said.

Tulisa looked at me. “You and Union J are the guest performers.”

“Fuck.”

*

“Two years ago she would be preparing to take to the stage to fight for her place in the competition, but now?” Dermot announced as I stood behind the sliding doors, getting ready to go on stage and trying to ignore the fact that Union J were on stage right after me. “Now she’s here to perform her brand new single – What Now. Ladies and gentlemen, it’s Sammy Jones.”

As the audience clapped and cheered, the music began to play.

I’ve been ignoring this big lump in my throat

I began to walk down the steps, holding the microphone in my hand as I sang the first line.

I shouldn’t be crying, tears were for the weaker days

It felt strange to be back on the stage knowing that the public weren’t voting for me.

I’m stronger, now what, so I say

It also felt strange singing the song I’d wrote about George knowing he was in the building.

But something’s missing